Live Rock = Turf Algae

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People suggesting to use a higher percentage of live rock, how did you avoid getting turf algae? I’d imagine there is a very high probability of getting it when using actual live rock such as KP Aquatics and TBS.

I have it and can’t seem to get it under control. I have low levels of P04 and NO3 with a good clean up crew - Tuxedo urchin, tronchus, and cerith snails. I did two rounds of Reeflux HD, but all that did was kill 80% of my corals. Hydrogen peroxide doesn’t seem to be enough.

I want to restart with new “live” rock, but fear it will only come with more turf algae.
Is this a common issue?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People suggesting to use a higher percentage of live rock, how did you avoid getting turf algae? I’d imagine there is a very high probability of getting it when using actual live rock such as KP Aquatics and TBS.

I have it and can’t seem to get it under control. I have low levels of P04 and NO3 with a good clean up crew - Tuxedo urchin, tronchus, and cerith snails. I did two rounds of Reeflux HD, but all that did was kill 80% of my corals. Hydrogen peroxide doesn’t seem to be enough.

I want to restart with new “live” rock, but fear it will only come with more turf algae.
Is this a common issue?
You got a pic?

araziza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of the reasons I switched to dry rock. So far so good, although it really sucks not to get any of the fun hitchhikers. Not to mention the biodiversity of beneficial bacteria and other organisms.

OP
OP
GarrettT

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got a pic?
Unfortunately I don’t, as I just picked much of it off the rocks. I have both red and green turf algae. It’s definitely turf and not GHA though. No matter how much I remove, it just grows back within a week. The unfortunate part is that with the lower nutrients, I’m starting to see Dino’s come back.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t had an issue with turf algae in my tanks and used KP both times. I am having a Cyano outbreak but not turf

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Is this a common issue?
Light and inorganics will promote turf.
Is tank at or near a window?
Check and assure phosphate levels not elevated?
RODI water or tap water from the faucet?

Some good cleaners for turf algae are:
Ninja star snails
astrea snails
trochus snails
Chiton snails
Pitho crab
Caribbean blue leg hermits

OP
OP
GarrettT

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light and inorganics will promote turf.
Is tank at or near a window?
Check and assure phosphate levels not elevated?
RODI water or tap water from the faucet?

Some good cleaners for turf algae are:
Ninja star snails
astrea snails
trochus snails
Chiton snails
Pitho crab
Caribbean blue leg hermits
No window. 0ppb phosphate (I know not recommended, but trying to eradicate it), 0ppm tds (I run two DIs).

ill likely give that cuc a try.

OP
OP
GarrettT

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t had an issue with turf algae in my tanks and used KP both times. I am having a Cyano outbreak but not turf
Surprising. If you look at their stock photos, you can see plenty of turf in there. Glad you didn’t get it.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is this a common issue?
How big is the system? It sounds like alot but I use 1 snail per gallon and have mostly live rock now in 4 systems.
In my old 120 I ran 2 per gallon with 2 halloween urchins.
Before I took it down I counted close to 90 snails.

OP
OP
GarrettT

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the system? It sounds like alot but I use 1 snail per gallon and have mostly live rock now in 4 systems.
In my old 120 I ran 2 per gallon with 2 halloween urchins.
Before I took it down I counted close to 90 snails.
My MP60s are notorious at getting snails trapped on the propeller, esp. cerith. Im trying to avoid more, especially since most of the algae is limited to turf only. I know u run Tunze tho.

edit: 220g total

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No window. 0ppb phosphate (I know not recommended, but trying to eradicate it), 0ppm tds (I run two DIs).

ill likely give that cuc a try.
How old is your tank

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1yr 3 months
That’s a mature system, what’s the ideology behind starving the algae by depleting phosphates? Guide me through your thinking in choosing that method. are you aware that your main bacteria to control ammonia is actually heterotrophic bacteria that need carbon nitrogen and phosphorus to carry on the biological filtration

OP
OP
GarrettT

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a mature system, what’s the ideology behind starving the algae by depleting phosphates? Guide me through your thinking in choosing that method. are you aware that your main bacteria to control ammonia is actually heterotrophic bacteria that need carbon nitrogen and phosphorus to carry on the biological filtration

Wouldn’t food and fish waste support this? I don’t think I’ve ever heard of bacteria not being able to handle a bioload because of low P04.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t food and fish waste support this? I don’t think I’ve ever heard of bacteria not being able to handle a bioload because of low P04.
If the dominant species in your tank was nitrifying bacteria that would be correct, what many people come to realise is that over time heterotrophic bacteria comes to dominate our reef and they become the main species to control ammonia, what happens wend they get limited by removing nitrates or phosphates is that they can’t carry on doing they’re job properly meaning that more ammonia becomes available for photosynthesis organisms to utilise. In your case it will be the turf algae so instead of killing it you are actually giving them more nutrients by limiting nutrients in your system.
Heterotrophic bacteria needs a constant supply of C N P if one is limited they can’t perform.

personally I would let the nutrients stabilise and regain the bacteria that is lost and use natural predators to deal with the turf algae or use other method available that won’t reduce your nutrients and weaken your biological filter.

OP
OP
GarrettT

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the dominant species in your tank was nitrifying bacteria that would be correct, what many people come to realise is that over time heterotrophic bacteria comes to dominate our reef and they become the main species to control ammonia, what happens wend they get limited by removing nitrates or phosphates is that they can’t carry on doing they’re job properly meaning that more ammonia becomes available for photosynthesis organisms to utilise. In your case it will be the turf algae so instead of killing it you are actually giving them more nutrients by limiting nutrients in your system.
Heterotrophic bacteria needs a constant supply of C N P if one is limited they can’t perform.

personally I would let the nutrients stabilise and regain the bacteria that is lost and use natural predators to deal with the turf algae or use other method available that won’t reduce your nutrients and weaken your biological filter.
That’s interesting… I’ll have to give that a try.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s interesting… I’ll have to give that a try.

Have a look at that thread, many substantial evidence have been posted that may help a bit more in understanding the difference.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back