Live rock with pests question

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gjedde
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Gjedde

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 20, 2022
Messages
722
Reaction score
777
Location
Troy
What state or country do you live in
Montana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a used 180 that came complete with sand(currently in the process of washing and drying it out) and rock. A lot of it is fantastic old rock, stuff that has probably moved around in the hobby for a couple decades (600$ for everything, honestly the rock alone made me happy). As you might guess however, its got some pests, xenia and aptasia. Ive currently got the rock in a 45 gallon brute with a bubbler and a circulator. No heater, house stays around 70.
We are waiting to set up the tank until our new home is completed, between Christmas and early February.
Should i expect the aptasia/xenia to stay on the rocks? If so, is there anything i could do while keeping the rock live and prime?
 
Does it have a light over it?

Xenia will perish without light but the Aiptasia will not. I would probably just add natural methods to clean it up once you get the tank set up.
 
Does it have a light over it?

Xenia will perish without light but the Aiptasia will not. I would probably just add natural methods to clean it up once you get the tank set up.
No light. I figured that might be the move. Ill probably just add half a dozen peppermintd early on. And I currently have an aptasia eating filefish in my reefer 250.
 
Does it have a light over it?

Xenia will perish without light but the Aiptasia will not. I would probably just add natural methods to clean it up once you get the tank set up.
Yes, let the xenia die off, then add a few Berghia nudis or peppermint shrimp to take fare of the aptasia.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new