Live rock

Lori N

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any nice live rock for sale or know of any one or any Pittsburgh area stores that have any of decent quality? I am just starting a 32g biocube and don't need a lot. Really disappointed in what I have seen so far. The Reef Gallery's I Zeli isn't nice at all and they have red slime throughout their fish displays. And Pets in the Park in Butler has red slime in their fish tanks and their live rock is fuzzy like there isn't enough flow to keep stuff from growing that isn't wanted.

If anyone can point me in a direction I would appreciate it!!

Gregorjw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wet Pets in McMurray has some nice looking "live" rock. I'm not sure but I think it's something similar to the Caribsea life rock, I may be wrong but it looks to be artificially colored. It is in a holding tank and all so I'm assuming it has a decent biological colony. I'm not sure but I want to say it was 8 or 9 bucks a pound

OP
OP
Lori N

Lori N

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wet Pets in McMurray has some nice looking "live" rock. I'm not sure but I think it's something similar to the Caribsea life rock, I may be wrong but it looks to be artificially colored. It is in a holding tank and all so I'm assuming it has a decent biological colony. I'm not sure but I want to say it was 8 or 9 bucks a pound
Thank you!!

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally do not like the fake "limerick". The whole point of live rock is to have pore structure for bacteria to colonize to break down fish waste. The fake rock is mostly like a ceramic without any pore structure. In a bio-cube you don't have a sump to add like marine pure blocks or bright well aquatic bio blocks. Live rock without the deep internal pore structure won't do the same job as the real deal.

I agree that the store that I work at has true cyano bacteria in the fish system and after the long weekend that tanks are certainly due for a cleaning and the owner needs to order a bunch of inventory but, I think over all the store is nice. Sorry that you didn't think so.

Have you looked on the local aquarium Facebook groups? I've seen people selling rock on the super cheap. You could also ask the local club members if they have any rock, I'm sure some of us have 100's of pounds laying around like I do. Granted it's still summer and the local hobby is still dead for another month or two.

OP
OP
Lori N

Lori N

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally do not like the fake "limerick". The whole point of live rock is to have pore structure for bacteria to colonize to break down fish waste. The fake rock is mostly like a ceramic without any pore structure. In a bio-cube you don't have a sump to add like marine pure blocks or bright well aquatic bio blocks. Live rock without the deep internal pore structure won't do the same job as the real deal.

I agree that the store that I work at has true cyano bacteria in the fish system and after the long weekend that tanks are certainly due for a cleaning and the owner needs to order a bunch of inventory but, I think over all the store is nice. Sorry that you didn't think so.

Have you looked on the local aquarium Facebook groups? I've seen people selling rock on the super cheap. You could also ask the local club members if they have any rock, I'm sure some of us have 100's of pounds laying around like I do. Granted it's still summer and the local hobby is still dead for another month or two.

Sorry, Jaime I didn't mean to insult you or your store. If you are talking about the one here in Butler, it's not that I don't like the store. But starting a new tank, I surely don't want to introduce any unwanted bacterias, etc into my tank. I was truly disappointed in my ventures today.

I just joined this website. I have been out of the hobby for 7 years. I was a member of Reef central as well but I am having issues logging in and getting my password retrieved. And just joined a group on facebook, but it's not local. I need to look further into local ones. So I am just starting to attempt to reach out. Thank you for responding. I appreciate your input!!

KyleC.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you truly don’t want to introduce any unwanted critters, start with “dry” rock. All rock will eventually become “live”. Take it slow, add bottled ammonia, cycle, ghost feed, add pods, phyto, etc... I started with “live” rock two years ago, when I dove into this hobby, and I regretted it. The second time around, I went dry, and added only a couple old “live” rocks, again, a mistake. dang anemones... The third time around, it will ALL be dry or nuked! There are always people selling rocks on Craigslist, Facebook, or members here with a hoard full. Facebook groups are “Saltwater Crazy Pittsburgh” “Southwest PA Aquatics”, I’m sure a couple more too.

OP
OP
Lori N

Lori N

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you truly don’t want to introduce any unwanted critters, start with “dry” rock. All rock will eventually become “live”. Take it slow, add bottled ammonia, cycle, ghost feed, add pods, phyto, etc... I started with “live” rock two years ago, when I dove into this hobby, and I regretted it. The second time around, I went dry, and added only a couple old “live” rocks, again, a mistake. dang anemones... The third time around, it will ALL be dry or nuked! There are always people selling rocks on Craigslist, Facebook, or members here with a hoard full. Facebook groups are “Saltwater Crazy Pittsburgh” “Southwest PA Aquatics”, I’m sure a couple more too.

I have started with dry rock. Just wanted a nice piece of live rock or two. I am being extremely cautious or well, picky I guess. But I like your idea of just adding pods, etc. I bought 1 raw shrimp at the store today and cut a small piece off and added to the tank to start the cycle. So now I wait!! Thanks for the advice!

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't offend me. You are accurate that the fish system does indeed have true cyanobacteria that chemo clean won't do anything about. I just work there. I don't own the place. I was dosing H20@ which does kill it, but the owner has not ordered anymore in awhile. Which also leads to the bacterial bloom from the killing off and regrowth of the cyano. It was a holiday weekend and I had not done the weekly cleaning of the tanks. Granted the live rock is in a totally different system and is pest free as it was all started with bleached dry rock, just an fyi. I was not offended, if I were I would not have offered advice. What Kyle said is on point. You really don't need any "live rock" You will get pods and coraline and probably some sponge growth from putting coral into your tank. I don't know of any stores that sell like the straight from the ocean covered in sponges type rock that may be worth risking adding to a tank for the sake of biodiversity. 99% of tank that I buy and break down either have bubble algae, turf algae, aphasia or mojanos; more often than not a mixture or all of them. All of my personal tanks were started with bleached acid washed rock and I've gotten different sponges and coraline and don't have to worry about any type of pests.

OP
OP
Lori N

Lori N

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I am so glad. I felt bad and didn't want to offend anyone!! I actually ordered 25lbs of brs reef saver dry aquarium live rock from bulk reef supply. It's really porous. I am also going to order clean cheato and pods from Algae barn after the cycle is complete. My husband and I have battled all of what you listed in previous tanks and I am going to try my best to keep this tank as clean as possible. I'll have to stop in the store sometime and introduce myself.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I am so glad. I felt bad and didn't want to offend anyone!! I actually ordered 25lbs of brs reef saver dry aquarium live rock from bulk reef supply. It's really porous. I am also going to order clean cheato and pods from Algae barn after the cycle is complete. My husband and I have battled all of what you listed in previous tanks and I am going to try my best to keep this tank as clean as possible. I'll have to stop in the store sometime and introduce myself.

For sure, If you have questions I have answers. If you are interested you should think about checking out a club meeting. They are generally in the evening the 3rd Saturday of the month. I'm sure you could find someone to give you a sump rock or something from a clean system to seed your tank.

Just some side note advice. 1. Reef saver isn't the greatest. It has lots of openings but not small pores. Believe me I have probably 200 pounds of it sitting at my house. It's not horrible and better than the artificially dyed purple stuff in regards to surface area.
If you aren't going to Quarantine your fish be super careful of where you buy them. Know that if they are in a system with invertebrates that they cannot treat that system for parasites. If you see any obviously sick fish anywhere in a system I would pass on buying fish there. Coral dip is your friend. The dips usually won't kill parasites but it will kind of stun them you need to swish the coral around and agitate the pest off. No dip will kill parasite eggs like montipora eating nudibranchs, zoanthid eating nudibranchs, acropora eating flatworms et cetera. I have seen and have customers who have brought me in samples to look at under the microscope of dinoflagellates. It's ;literally the bane of my existence how many people I have seen give up and take down their tanks because of it, I would familiarize myself with what the various species look like and be cautious.

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its quite aways from Pittsburgh but the Petco in reading pa has a whole bunch of live rock for 75% off .

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information @Mike1995, that's probably a 10 hour drive round trip with about $40 - $50 in tolls. I personally wouldn't use rock from peptic because one it is a man made aggregate and two they most of the time haze velvet and or it in the system which will attach to hard surfaces ie. rock.

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my live rock at Wet Pets about 3 years ago. I like the look of it. I also go to Elmer’s a lot and love that store. Elmer’s is my favorite LFS.....can’t go wrong there!!! [emoji106]

Misled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sent you my phone. Give me a buzz tomorrow.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back