Live rock

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to add a little boost of live rock or something to increase my diversity. I am wondering is there anyone who sells it in smaller qty. I have a lot of rock already and don’t want to add 10+ pounds to my rock work! Thanks!

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to jump on the ocean live rock as well and plan on buying what I need and maybe a lil extra to use to seed my old rock with in case I ever need more live rock. Hopefully all the diversity will inhabit my old rock.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kp suggests a 10lb minimum due to shipping costs. Maybe give them a try? They offer starter live rock and premium live rock. I plan on goin with the starter rock. I’m just after the biodiversity not so much the coralline algae.

joepdiver11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to add a little boost of live rock or something to increase my diversity. I am wondering is there anyone who sells it in smaller qty. I have a lot of rock already and don’t want to add 10+ pounds to my rock work! Thanks!
Check out Tampa Bay saltwater Treasure Chests. Small amounts of rock or sand

Brooklands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just changed tanks and am selling my live reef sand. It's composed of crushed coral and shell. It's actual collected natural reef sand and not the bagged stuff. Let me know if you're interested. It will likely have pods and mysis in it.

Attachments

• 20220822_183808.jpg
    20220822_183808.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 42

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TBS sells it - I think it was called treasure chest or something. Anyway you can get small packages to do what you want.

Indo Pacific Sea Farms sells rubble kits.

AquaBiomics sells a small kit.

Price will vary and some here, and elsewhere, will argue it is snake oil or the bees knees. You could also source a pound or so from KP aquatics. My point is these three or four sources are reputable vendors and a couple with very long tenure in this hobby. Really up to you and what you hope to accomplish.

I've used KP Aquatics and added about 25 lbs a year or so back. Good to work with. I've also used several of Indo Pacific's kits over the years. Rubble and macro algae. I've not had the chance to order from TBS but the yound ladies over there are knocking it out of the park in my opinion and worth a call to. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these in my opinion.

Aquabiomics you get the eDNA report which is something different than the others.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus $80 for shipping outside Florida!:( Honestly not worth the cost imo.

Shipping is shipping and not every business is the two ton heavy thing with subsidies (Amazon). Hobbyist need to be realistic.

With that being said it looks like you personally have a threshold so no, in your opinion it wouldn't be worth it. On the other hand having purchased from KP the shipping cost wasn't a concern.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shipping is shipping and not every business is the two ton heavy thing with subsidies (Amazon). Hobbyist need to be realistic.

With that being said it looks like you personally have a threshold so no, in your opinion it wouldn't be worth it. On the other hand having purchased from KP the shipping cost wasn't a concern.
Yep...the more rock you buy the cheaper it will be, been that way forever.

Looking at the treasure chest myself. 8 lbs of premium is $21 lb to my door. If I bought 20 lbs premium and air freighted it it would land around $15 lb depending on shipping, $85 to $100 and I would have pick it up and have more rock than I need.

Gulf live rock has a 17 lb nano special right now, but overnight to your door is $95 shipping and air freighted $85.

Last edited:

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Yes plus I have nanos so the weight of it would be way too much to begin with. For me it’s just not worth it. That being said I’ll gladly spend my money on fancy gear lol.

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess my next question would be if things are going pretty well do you risk adding in ocean rock? I don’t want to add something and it make more of an issue especially since things are going well.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess my next question would be if things are going pretty well do you risk adding in ocean rock? I don’t want to add something and it make more of an issue especially since things are going well.
Tough call, I plan to get more, but I have a 5 gallon tank i might keep it in for a week or 2 to scope out any bad stuff.

The sample I got I knew I was taking a risk, and got worried the next day, but it's paid off

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is some Australian LR floating around around $25-30+ a pound tho.

on a side note. i was thinking the other day what as more biodiversity live sand or live rock??
would not a pound or two of LS do the trick of adding more biodiversity?
is that a better choice? IDK just a curious thought I was thinking the other day...

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
there is some Australian LR floating around around $25-30+ a pound tho.

on a side note. i was thinking the other day what as more biodiversity live sand or live rock??
would not a pound or two of LS do the trick of adding more biodiversity?
is that a better choice? IDK just a curious thought I was thinking the other day...
"Live sand" that you buy in a bag at the store is sand with bottle bacteria added, so won't bring in much. Live sand that's actually from the ocean should have a lot of life in it, but that life will, of course, be life that lives in sand. You'd probably get less beneficial algae, for example, and you almost definitely won't get any macros.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%
Back