Live sand bacteria

Ollie05H

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am preparing to upgrade to a new mixed reef (100 gallons). The plan was to mix the saltwater in the tank so that I don’t have to mix multiple batches of salt. Will it kill the bacteria in the live sand if I filled the tank with RODI water and then mixed? I will be using caribsea Arag alive figi pink

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am preparing to upgrade to a new mixed reef (100 gallons). The plan was to mix the saltwater in the tank so that I don’t have to mix multiple batches of salt. Will it kill the bacteria in the live sand if I filled the tank with RODI water and then mixed? I will be using caribsea Arag alive figi pink
I can't tell you if it would kill it or not, but I did the same thing. In hindsight I would most likely fill the tank, mix the salt let it run then add the sand after, it clears within a day and further if you had filter socks would remove many of the small particles, but that is just my thought after doing what you are going to do. I added all the clarifier packets once all the sand was in, next day when it had cleared I added a bottle of bacteria and started my bio-pellets, every other day added another bottle for a week, then started my skimmer.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In no way does sandbed bacteria matter as a requirement to a reef tank, per bare bottom owners.

contrary to popular opinion (and macna speaker claims) reef water has *lots* of filter bac in it. When we do a large water change, those bac are removed. Harmlessly, they’re extras and so are the ones in the sandbed.

source for claims: the thread where we cycle a full reef in 20 days by only adding reef water from another tank to it, and the fifty page sandbed review thread.

OP
OP
Ollie05H

Ollie05H

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot for the replies. I think I might add the sand after I have mixed it in case.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simply pre rinse in tap water until it’s clean, final rinse in ro, add

theres no need to add cloudy sand and wait for clearing.

Back