Live sand question (bag open time before die off)

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have someone who only needs a tiny amount of caribsea Fiji pink live sand and said I can have the rest for my build.

Curious how long it can sit in the bag before there is die off since the bag is sealed and now isn’t. My build will be happening in about a 2 weeks or so.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’ll be fine, try and keep it in a cold place. The bacteria is in the water so try can keep that.

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a piece of liverock so much better.
Of course. That’s the plan. Some one from a local forum had some live Fiji pink sand where they just used a couple pounds so they gave me the rest hence why the question came up. But thanks!

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course. That’s the plan. Some one from a local forum had some live Fiji pink sand where they just used a couple pounds so they gave me the rest hence why the question came up. But thanks!

Live sand and live rock tend not to be the same thing, live sand has more than likely had a bottle bacteria added to dry sand, whereas live rock tends to come from the sea with all that comes with it.

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live sand and live rock tend not to be the same thing, live sand has more than likely had a bottle bacteria added to dry sand, whereas live rock tends to come from the sea with all that comes with it.

well aware. This wasn’t the question being asked lol but thank you for the input. I just got the bag of sand from a local reefer so why not use it. I just wanted to make sure that sand didn’t have the bottle bacteria go bad if it was slightly opened until I use it with the live rock I’m getting shipped to me.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back