• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

LiveAquaria Misleading Picture/Coral

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

jefra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Placed an order for this coral on LiveAquaria, a long-polyped pink Goniopora.

fq9BYyz.jpg

... but received this coral instead, a short-polyped, encrusting green Goniopora.

XzMou4M.jpg

I emailed LiveAquaria expressing my surprise and disappointment, they responded with the following:

"Thank you for your email. We apologize you are unhappy with the specimen received. We would like to note that under the photograph on the web page it states "Due to variations within species, your item may not look identical to the image provided." The color form of this one states blue that is the blue centers of the polyp. After reviewing your photo you have received the correct specimen."

The bolded quote is in tiny print in italics under the first picture. Barely legible, and still doesn't explicitly state you may receive an entirely different coral in another color and form.

I replied with the following:

"This is not an acceptable outcome for me. "Due to variations within species, your item may not look identical to the image provided" — does not mean an entirely different coral. This is a short polyped and green Goniopora coral, the picture is of a long polyped and pink coral. Those are two very drastic differences in morphology.

Furthermore, the coral is not blue in any way, but green. As an experienced hobbyist, I don't read the "Quick Stats" where it states this coral is blue since I'm perfectly aware of the necessary water parameters. This item should have been identified as a different color much more prominently, such as in the "Select Product" menu (picture included for reference) like your company does for nearly every other coral on the website."

BxpGiUM.jpg

(Select Product/Color Options used on other corals but not this one)

They responded with essentially the same message they wrote the first time. They're refusing to refund or give me any kind of compensation whatsoever. Very disappointed with this experience, especially considering I've spent $1,000 with LiveAquaria in April alone. I'll no longer be using them.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The upside... it’s still beautiful. The downside... it’s not what you ordered. Still, sometimes I think these companies think we’re idiots.

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should mention your order history with them in an email. You want to do the following:

- state how you want the issue corrected
- remind them of your order history
- state what you require in order to be satisfied
- assure them you look forward to continued business

Something like this:

Thank you for your response. As stated previously, I am not satisfied with the product. I would appreciate a full refund and will be happy to accept store credit.

As I have ordered $——- ‘s worth of livestock from you in the past, I know that you provide quality specimens at reasonable prices. I would love to continue to use LiveAquaria as my primary source of livestock and sincerely hope this issue can be resolved so that I can continue to use your services and recommend you to everyone I know.

Thank you and have a nice day

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should mention your order history with them in an email. You want to do the following:

Something like this:

Thank you for your response. As stated previously, I am not satisfied with the product. I would appreciate a full refund and will be happy to accept store credit.

As I have ordered $——- ‘s worth of livestock from you in the past, I know that you provide quality specimens at reasonable prices. I would love to continue to use LiveAquaria as my primary source of livestock and sincerely hope this issue can be resolved so that I can continue to use your services and recommend you to everyone I know.

Having worked in a customer service role while I was in college many moons ago, I gotta say, there isn't much worse than the "All the money I spent up in here!" argument..... For one, they should make it right if it were your first and only planned order with them...... and two, whatever you spend with them is nominal to them, and probably a drop in the bucket compared to others, but again, what you spend with them should have no relevance....

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that liveaquaria service and quality has gone down since Petco took over but I'll say it, I think it's just as much your fault for not reading everything they say about the coral. It's not WYSIWYG, it's "Goniopora sp" which means it could be any of them and the picture is just a sample picture. It's not like they can take the coral back. You did make the purchase and they did put lots of warnings on the page. Best bet is to buy from Diver's den if you''re picky.

OP
OP
jefra

jefra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that liveaquaria service and quality has gone down since Petco took over but I'll say it, I think it's just as much your fault for not reading everything they say about the coral. It's not WYSIWYG, it's "Goniopora sp" which means it could be any of them and the picture is just a sample picture. It's not like they can take the coral back. You did make the purchase and they did put lots of warnings on the page. Best bet is to buy from Diver's den if you''re picky.
They didn't put lots of warnings. They put one line in tiny print saying "Due to variations within species, your item may not look identical to the image provided." To me, that means maybe it's a littler smaller than the picture or slightly darker or lighter in color. It doesn't mean a completely different coral altogether.

Also, the ORA corals are not different like the non-Diver's Den stock sold directly from LiveAquaria themselves. When you buy an ORA coral from LiveAquaria, you get that same coral species in the exact color pictured shipped directly from ORA. That's the whole point of buying an ORA-branded coral or fish – you pay a higher price for a premium, aquacultured coral that is somewhat standardized in size, color, and shape. This was absolutely not the case in my situation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jefra

jefra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Something like this:

I emailed them with that and again received the same generic, seemingly copy-and-paste response:

Thank you for your email. We apologize you are unhappy with the specimen received.

Thank you for choosing LiveAquaria for your live aquatic needs. You are a valued customer and we look forward to hearing from you in the future.
If we can be of any additional assistance, please feel free to contact our LiveAquaria Department at 1-800-334-3699 or via email at [email protected]. We will be happy to answer any question(s) you may have.

Last edited:

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having worked in a customer service role while I was in college many moons ago, I gotta say, there isn't much worse than the "All the money I spent up in here!" argument..... For one, they should make it right if it were your first and only planned order with them...... and two, whatever you spend with them is nominal to them, and probably a drop in the bucket compared to others, but again, what you spend with them should have no relevance....

While I agree that what you’ve spent shouldn’t be relevant, in my experience, it is. Perhaps just saying that you’ve been a long time customer would be better.

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed them with that and again received the same generic, seemingly copy-and-paste response:

Thank you for your email. We apologize you are unhappy with the specimen received.

Thank you for choosing LiveAquaria for your live aquatic needs. You are a valued customer and we look forward to hearing from you in the future.
If we can be of any additional assistance, please feel free to contact our LiveAquaria Department at 1-800-334-3699 or via email at [email protected]. We will be happy to answer any question(s) you may have.

Sad. Just sad. Sorry for your crappy experience

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are much better off calling them then emailing. I’ve had a couple instances where calling them and talking about the issue calmly got me a response of “We will make an exception this time and refund you but in the future...........”. Worth a shot.

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They've seemed fine for fish but are really hit or miss these days when it comes to coral. It's nice that they don't seem to do crazy photoshopping on their divers den stuff, so if it arrives healthy it looks just like what you ordered.

But having it arrive healthy is the crapshoot.

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I’ve never ordered a fish or coral online. I say find a decent source within a reasonable drive and stick to them. I’ve got LFSs all over the place but drive over an hour away to pick up myself. That way, you observe and pick your and ship it straight home. Shouldn’t have to resort to that though. Such a shame

sean rand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had a issue with LA they always r VERY good with customer service

Frogger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the heads up about your experience with Live Aquaria. Unfortunately sounds like you need to chalk it up to experience, not purchase from them again and move on. $50 just isn't worth the hassle. I have been misled multiple times when purchasing things via the internet and not just reef stuff.

I likely wouldn't buy anything alive that I couldn't see in person before I purchase because I am vary particular about what I get and I have heard to many horror stories. I have found that there are enough local shops and local fellow reefers selling quality products that I do not have to look elsewhere. If I can't find it the local shops will get it in for me.

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The customer service at LA has really gone down hill in the last couple years.
They used to be my go to place, but not anymore.
What is your go to place now, if you don't mind me asking?

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back