Livestock Advice Needed!(future mixed sps/lps reef tank)

Cody Clark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
setting up my RSR 450. What is the most tangs you would put in this size of tank (5ft long). ALSO! what is the biggest tang you would put in the tank. I am thinking on going with a purple a yellow and then maybe 1 more. Really like purple tangs and feel comforable with him(kind of want him as my centerpiece fish). What would be your recommendation for the 3rd tang if you would even add a 3rd and if so what tang and how big!?!?

Already set livestock will be
- 2 clowns
- flame angel
- cherub angel
- sixline wrasse
- probably 3 cardinalfish or 3 of some sort of schooling fish

is these fish and 3 tangs too much!? if so what would u suggest cutting down on!? the already "set" livestock I already own so outside of the 3 schoaling/schooling fish I cant really remove those without rehoming them.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 tangs are a bit much for that size tank. Purple and yellow tangs are both Zebrasomma species. I would advise against 2 tangs of the same genus in that size tank.

OP
OP
Cody Clark

Cody Clark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 tangs are a bit much for that size tank. Purple and yellow tangs are both Zebrasomma species. I would advise against 2 tangs of the same genus in that size tank.
dang okay thanks. i dont know much about tangs tbh. what would u recommend for another tang to go along with the purple tang!? - maybe a Powder blue!? wife really likes those!?

OP
OP
Cody Clark

Cody Clark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do like the idea of a smaller tang as to not take away from my purple tang but really dont like either of those. not very attractive imo. apprecaite the feedback. any other suggestion!?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done Ok with yellows and purples together if their needs are met (well fed and good quality water)... actually never a problem. I have that combo right now. They do not get huge, but even those might outgrow that tanks, but you can probably keep them for a long while.

Chocolate Mimic is a good choice of a docile tank that does not flash around everywhere and stays small. They have a subtle beauty as the age that people are really drawn to when they are at my house - I get more "what kind of fish is that" with the Chocolate Tang and Potters Wrasses than anything else.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done Ok with yellows and purples together if their needs are met (well fed and good quality water)... actually never a problem. I have that combo right now. They do not get huge, but even those might outgrow that tanks, but you can probably keep them for a long while.

Chocolate Mimic is a good choice of a docile tank that does not flash around everywhere and stays small. They have a subtle beauty as the age that people are really drawn to when they are at my house - I get more "what kind of fish is that" with the Chocolate Tang and Potters Wrasses than anything else.
Purples and yellows can be kept together, but a 115g tank isn't where it is likely to work out.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 42 46.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.7%
Back