Livestock for Aiptasia Control

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've come to the conclusion that I suck at manually controlling aiptasia. Boiling water, lemon juice, the various kalk pastes, all I end up doing is turning 1 into 4-5. As I move to upgrade to a 230 Gallon, I will barely be able to reach the bottom of the tank, so the precise application needed for the chemical methods is a no go anyways.

I know there's an assortment of livestock out there that will eat it. I'm aware of a few, but I'm sure there's more I don't. What are these animals, and what are the pros/cons of keeping them?

Berghia: Devours aiptasia, but as I understand it, they'll often starve to death after eating it all. At $25-$40 each, not exactly ideal.

Filefish: Won't stop at aiptasia, and can/will eat any and all anenomes.

CB Butterfly: Doesn't always eat aiptasia, can be a delicate fish from what I've read.

Peppermint Shrimp: Expensive yet equally tasty eel snacks.

Jay00498

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following ! I am trying peppermint shrimp and they have yet to go after any aiptasia. I’d love to get some berghia but just like you said at that price point and needing to get multiple doesn’t seem ideal for them to just die off eventually .

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you just listed everything available so take a pick... also filefish don’t eat anemones, they will eat your softies and lps however. Nothing is 100% guaranteed except berghia since that is their one and only food source

peps will also most likely eat your softies and lps as well.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another concern of mine with the nudis is whether or not my eel would also find them delicious. As I understand it, they only come out at night, which is when he is active as well. But as they're the only guaranteed option, I may have to give them a try.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol no they are too tiny to be eaten by an eel. They are only active at night, yes, however they stay mainly within the pores of the rock. You will only see them on on the actual rocks when there is not enough food, and at that point they will die within a few days anyway without feeding.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here was my tank. As you see pretty much an absolute infection. I even had a cbb, filefish and peps. Added20 nudi’s and it took them 3 months to clear it out completely. Very expensive lesson...

Attachments

• EF5B72B7-2B7A-46BC-9033-CF8B2408103B.jpeg
    EF5B72B7-2B7A-46BC-9033-CF8B2408103B.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 191

Hal3134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CBB has always worked for me. It may take some time before you notice, but it’s always worked. IME, pep shrimps won’t eat the big ones.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here was my tank. As you see pretty much an absolute infection. I even had a cbb, filefish and peps. Added20 nudi’s and it took them 3 months to clear it out completely. Very expensive lesson...
At first I thought that was GHA or something. That's just gnarly. Do you still have nudis, or did they die out after clearing it up?

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All that on the rock is not algae, it’s individual aiptasia lol

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first I thought that was GHA or something. That's just gnarly. Do you still have nudis, or did they die out after clearing it up?
I sold the ones I could find and get out the others and the eggs just died. Never saw em again.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably. Cheapest I've seen is $24. Most has been about $40, it's nutty when you need 8-10 of them for even a small tank. Jeez, might as well set up a tank and just breed nudis. Fund my whole reefing hobby off it.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Kleini Butterfly on order to take care my aptasia. My understanding is that they clean it up really quick and are safer for SPS, but not so much for LPS and softies, so not sure if that is an option in your tank.
Also I had some small aptasia starting in my frag tank, added a peppermint shrimp and they were gone the next day, downside I think it has been snacking on a couple of LPS in the tank.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Berghia worked great for my tiny tank, my canary wrasse ate them in the big tank. I tried a filefish - she nipped at the aiptasia then went to town on my acans, tried a kleini - tried to eat my zoas instead, peppermint shrimp all got eaten by my marine betta, tried another filefish - this one is a good citizen. This filefish eats any aiptasia he sees and stays away from all my other corals. He eats any prepared foods I add to the tank without question.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple soft corals, no sps or LPS, and have no plans for them in the future. One could say I have a soft spot for softies.

With all I'm reading hear about hits and misses, and damage to corals, I believe berghias are the route to go. Maybe just a couple to start. I don't care overly if the aiptasia is eradicated, but just so it doesn't take over.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple soft corals, no sps or LPS, and have no plans for them in the future. One could say I have a soft spot for softies.

With all I'm reading hear about hits and misses, and damage to corals, I believe berghias are the route to go. Maybe just a couple to start. I don't care overly if the aiptasia is eradicated, but just so it doesn't take over.
Just don’t do what I did and use a toothbrush on them which made them release their babies!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back