Living aquarium and hooked

Jeff_Woodbridge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started my first tank 33 biocube back in December and haven't looked back. Once my nitrates dropped I then started ttm on two snow flake clowns. Who are now happy and doing well. Albeit still hanging out in back corner and probably will forever.

Added couple type of snails and an emerald crab and peppermint shrimp.

Tonight fire shrimp and skunk going in and all these shrimp better get along !!

In quarantine after ttm are Aurora goby and scooter blenny who is eating frozen food like a fiend and active as anything.

That's is probably all I'm going to have in the tank and then wait a few months and start thinking corals.

Having so much fun although my house looks like an lfs with all the tanks setup for ttm and qt.

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started my first tank 33 biocube back in December and haven't looked back. Once my nitrates dropped I then started ttm on two snow flake clowns. Who are now happy and doing well. Albeit still hanging out in back corner and probably will forever.

Added couple type of snails and an emerald crab and peppermint shrimp.

Tonight fire shrimp and skunk going in and all these shrimp better get along !!

In quarantine after ttm are Aurora goby and scooter blenny who is eating frozen food like a fiend and active as anything.

That's is probably all I'm going to have in the tank and then wait a few months and start thinking corals.

Having so much fun although my house looks like an lfs with all the tanks setup for ttm and qt.
Biocube 32 guy here as well, welcome to the fold!

My clowns also love the top back corner much to my dismay. I almost forget they're in there!

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of it depends on whether or not the clowns are Captive Bred. If they are wild caught then they will stake out a territory and stick with it. If they are captive bred they will cruise all over the tank. My captive bred snowflake occ was on the move virtually 24-7. Sometimes I would get up in the middle of the night and head through my living room and turn on the light and it was still swimming around the tank in the dark.

Pelagic One

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay...enough ‘liking’ something, and then not saying why...

I had no idea that there was that territorial behavioral difference between captive bred and wild caught clowns. My past clown rearing experience were in nano tanks, so there wasn’t room to really experience the behavior. Welcome back, and huge thanks for sharing that knowledge!

So now I’m wondering what other fish have CP vs WC differences, and what they may be.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't heard of any other fish showing that kind of a significant difference in behavior. About the most you generally hear from other fish is that captive bred are better suited to tank life and more hearty to the captive environment and they might be less likely to be aggressive than their wild caught counterparts. To my knowledge though clowns are the only ones that show significant differences in territorial behavior in captivity. That said, I am really interested to see if anyone has compared a Biota or other captive bred Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel with a standard wild caught one and seen what the differences are. There isn't a ton of info on the differences other than the fact that the captive bred tend to have more amazing colors. Also an interesting fact is that many captive bred clowns have no clue what to do with an anemone (because they generally weren't part of their environment in the tank in which they were bred and weren't exposed to the plethora of predators) and I have heard a few folks having to do some form of training to get the captive clown to use the anemone. Hence the reason why I don't recommend anemones to people who simply buy a clown and want "the look."

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back