Local Fish Store Question

russaggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been going to my local fish store for about the last month trying to get some information and make a decision about which size tank I want to get (150 or 180). I have been in there about four-five times asking them for suggestions on what all they think I should get to start my tank and have pretty much told them I'm willing to go with what they recommend and will buy everything from them instead of trying to price shop for every piece of equipment.

I went in this past Sunday and pretty much had narrowed everything down and knew what stand and canopy I wanted along with most of the other options. Come to find out, they didn't have a 150 tank in stock and so they told me they were going to call their warehouse Monday to see if they could get a 150 gallon reef ready tank for me. So I went back in last night (Tuesday) to see what they found out. They said the warehouse doesn't have any 150's so they don't know when the would be able to get one in. So I said ok, then I guess that makes the decision easier, 180 it is.

I walk over to the 180 they have on the floor and notice the price went up $60 from Sunday to yesterday (two days). I asked the guy I have been talking to all this time about the price and at first he said the one I saw Sunday was one they had on lay-away and that was an old price from when it was put on lay-away. So I checked it again and that was not the case. I could tell as I had a taken some pics of it on Sunday and the tag on the tank had a slight tear in it so I know it was the exact same one. So I told him, no this is the same exact tank I saw on Sunday. Then he tells me "well yeah, there's been a price increase since you were here and that's what it would cost us to replace this one". I said, well that's not what you paid for this one since it was here two days ago for $60 less. He just said "well yeah, that's the price now" and then turned and walked away.

Is this typical? I mean granted it's "only" $60 and in the grand scheme of things for a 180 gallon new set up that's not a lot, but it just struck me as a shady way of doing things. To change the story about the price increase and try to act like I didn't know any better really made me mad and was insulting. I'm planning to spend a few thousand dollars in there and then they do this. There are a few other fish stores in town so I guess I will continue to shop around, but just wanted to know if this type of thing should be expected everywhere I go right now due to demand for tanks.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been going to my local fish store for about the last month trying to get some information and make a decision about which size tank I want to get (150 or 180). I have been in there about four-five times asking them for suggestions on what all they think I should get to start my tank and have pretty much told them I'm willing to go with what they recommend and will buy everything from them instead of trying to price shop for every piece of equipment.
Be careful getting all that info from people who are trying to sell you something. Also, tbh it sounds like they are trying to upcharge you because they know they can. I'd be suspicious of them. I really don't think loyalty to any one store has much benefit unless you know and trust them over a long string of happiness with their service. A lot of LFS, whether they want to be sleazy or not, are forced to compete with online stores that can sometimes offer better deals and always offer better selection.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I went in this past Sunday and pretty much had narrowed everything down and knew what stand and canopy I wanted along with most of the other options. Come to find out, they didn't have a 150 tank in stock and so they told me they were going to call their warehouse Monday to see if they could get a 150 gallon reef ready tank for me. So I went back in last night (Tuesday) to see what they found out. They said the warehouse doesn't have any 150's so they don't know when the would be able to get one in. So I said ok, then I guess that makes the decision easier, 180 it is.

I walk over to the 180 they have on the floor and notice the price went up $60 from Sunday to yesterday (two days). I asked the guy I have been talking to all this time about the price and at first he said the one I saw Sunday was one they had on lay-away and that was an old price from when it was put on lay-away. So I checked it again and that was not the case. I could tell as I had a taken some pics of it on Sunday and the tag on the tank had a slight tear in it so I know it was the exact same one. So I told him, no this is the same exact tank I saw on Sunday. Then he tells me "well yeah, there's been a price increase since you were here and that's what it would cost us to replace this one". I said, well that's not what you paid for this one since it was here two days ago for $60 less. He just said "well yeah, that's the price now" and then turned and walked away.

Is this typical? I mean granted it's "only" $60 and in the grand scheme of things for a 180 gallon new set up that's not a lot, but it just struck me as a shady way of doing things. To change the story about the price increase and try to act like I didn't know any better really made me mad and was insulting. I'm planning to spend a few thousand dollars in there and then they do this. There are a few other fish stores in town so I guess I will continue to shop around, but just wanted to know if this type of thing should be expected everywhere I go right now due to demand for tanks.

I'd start shopping around and finding a new LFS. They just tried to take advantage of you it sounds like. If you had agreed to that price change I'm sure they would have had the same excuse for everything else you plan on buying as well. Especially when it came time for livestock.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but this story doesn't give me any good thoughts...

MonsterMush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

People often take the path of least resistance and will use excuses or fibs as shortcuts. That is not good customer service. Items are only worth what we are willing to pay, and some businesses would honor the prior price to keep your business and make a large sale. I hope that you find your dream tank at a fair price!

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs is always trying to sell me fish corals etc and even used tanks he has bought from teardowns. I always keep telling him. I’m maxed at everything! No room and I have a beauty tank to begin with

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious if it is really their warehouse? I don't know of any store in the DFW area that has their own warehouse with inventory. What they have in the store is all they have. They can check online with the distributor and see what they have in stock. Since you are so close, personally I would look at getting a Planet aquarium brand since they are great tanks and are made in the DFW area. Shipping shouldn't add a whole lot to the price like other tanks that might be shipping across country. As for the pricing, that is probably their pricing model and instead of just admitting it at first they thought they could get by with a lie. Not the greatest way to treat a customer but it is a valid pricing model.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that you know how they operate, shop around, get four or five different quotes, and then go back to them with the lowest one, and say "this is what I'm going to get. Make me a better deal", and then let them come back to you with a response. And just walk away if they're not going to treat you fairly.

OP
OP
R

russaggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of the responses everyone. It goes along with what I was thinking. I will keep shopping and see what everyone else in town has to offer. This was for an Aqueon 180 reef-ready. The price went from 819 to 879.
I just hate dishonest people and businesses. Trying to do the whole support your local store thing but don’t want to be stupid either.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I don’t know why you still considered purchasing from them once they tried that move. I’d never go back, personally.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be upset with them. Prices for everything g are going up. On top of that a ton of people are getting into reefing. Tanks have been in short supply for months.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never return/spend $ at any LFS that talk to customers that way, esp someone who's about to throw down some cheddar.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of the responses everyone. It goes along with what I was thinking. I will keep shopping and see what everyone else in town has to offer. This was for an Aqueon 180 reef-ready. The price went from 819 to 879.
I just hate dishonest people and businesses. Trying to do the whole support your local store thing but don’t want to be stupid either.
The price hike could of been a fluke, could of been on purpose. If the LFS wouldn't honor the old price, then look elsewhere. No harm, no foul.

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should honor the old price if they knew you were interested and buying soon.

Sometimes a manufacture can up their MSRP and tell retailers that they can no longer sell at the lower price or risk losing their partnership. IF that is the case, they should mention it, and you should ask them for $60 in livestock store credit so all parties are satisfied.

View Badges
Yea price hikes Inflation so bad, but they taking advantage of people everywhere and everyone they selling old stuff for double and new stuff for same price as old.Everyone is hurting so watch out

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly coming from a part timer at a fish store I agree with shopping around a few different stores. Here is arizona I have found discount aquariums in the place to buy cheap dry goods but never fish because they don’t take care of them as well… I get my corals from higher end stores and I have still lost some.
Fish becomes hit or miss by the practices of the store. If they cannot be honest on how they do things and if their story doesn’t match up/lie to you about stuff honestly keep walking.
First place I went to sold me some stuff I later found out nuked my tank… after moving and restarting I looked around and found a good place that could not only teach me but also offer a part time job. So I get to learn and have access to discounts and learn more about this community and how to get the best deals/bang for my buck!

and don’t just buy from one place or talk to 1 person… you need a few people to balance out personal bias that could capsize your project. Love my co-worker to death but we don’t see eye to eye on everything! For instance he thinks platforms like this are stupid and never really help you out. I think this platform is invaluable in fact checking and seeing how everyone else does what I want to do.

good luck and happy reefing

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 21 20.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 12 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 37 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back