samnaz’s Long and Shallow Rimless [upgrade in progress]

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, nice skills.
The cabinet and tank look great already.
Soon you can start scaping... which gives even more stress. LOL

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, nice skills.
The cabinet and tank look great already.
Soon you can start scaping... which gives even more stress. LOL
lol I'm well aware of the stress of scaping and how long it takes... as I started working on it about a year ago. Yes I've had a pile of rocks on a table in my living room for a year haha! it's going to be worth the time and effort though... just wait and see ;)

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, love that on the wide stand. :)

This is gorgeous. I wish to no end I would have made/modified my stand to fit my needs more.

I like the second attempt at hard plumbing. The 45's look good and not the excessive amount of 90's you had originally.

I am blown away, really nice job on the project.:)

thank you so much everyone :) I am quite proud of this, not gunna lie...

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot tell you how much time and frustration hard plumbing has caused me... but in the end all it really cost me was a nice pair of leather gloves (oops).

What could possibly have been so difficult, you ask? Not only did I have to maneuver around the middle panel of the stand, I had a measly 14" of height to do so...AND with 45's only instead of 90's... For a long time it felt impossible to do but holy **** I did it and dangit I'm proud.

Before I glue and paint, anything you see that should be adjusted or changed?

IMG_5355.JPG

IMG_5339.JPG

IMG_5340.JPG

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good.
Soon you can run a water test.

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good.
Soon you can run a water test.

I'm liking what I see. Glue those joints up!
Glue/cementing proved to be more difficult than I expected. Messed up multiple connections. Got more unions, bulkheads, glue, etc... working on round two now. Right now hard plumbing seems like it was a bad idea, bit off more than I can chew!

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glue/cementing proved to be more difficult than I expected. Messed up multiple connections. Got more unions, bulkheads, glue, etc... working on round two now. Right now hard plumbing seems like it was a bad idea, bit off more than I can chew!
I found marking the joint connections prior to gluing with a sharpie, so they all lineup, the way to go.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stopping by and I too am blown away on your attention to detail with the cabinet, apply those same skills to your plumbing you will get there.
I am a tradesmen and I screwed up more than a few pieces, Take your time! Great suggestion\/\/\/
I found marking the joint connections prior to gluing with a sharpie, so they all lineup, the way to go.

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stopping by and I too am blown away on your attention to detail with the cabinet, apply those same skills to your plumbing you will get there.
I am a tradesmen and I screwed up more than a few pieces, Take your time! Great suggestion\/\/\/
I'm flattered and humbled by your (and everyone else's) compliments on the stand modifications :) almost can't wait to DIY an entire stand top to bottom for upgrade #2.

I feel embarrassed to admit I glued the top piece of the union to a bulkhead without putting the connector piece of the union on first! waste of a bulkhead and a union. if that wasn't stupid enough of me, I correctly glued the bulkhead to the union WITHOUT first installing it on the overflow, which is now impossible - therefore, another wasted bh and union... yeah, wow.

oh well, you live and you learn... :)

@siggy is that your precious smiling pooch in your icon?

Last edited:

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm flattered and humbled by your (and everyone else's) compliments on the stand modifications :) almost can't wait to DIY an entire stand top to bottom for upgrade #2.

I feel embarrassed to admit I glued the top piece of the union to a bulkhead without putting the connector piece of the union on first! waste of a bulkhead and a union. if that wasn't stupid enough of me, I correctly glued the bulkhead to the union WITHOUT first installing it on the overflow, which is now impossible - therefore, another wasted bh and union... yeah, wow.

Welcome to the club of noobs in pvc gluing.
We all were there....

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always imagined those spending over $100 for a powerhead were suckers when jebao sells perfectly fine powerheads for a fraction of the cost ($45 for a pp-4).

I’m now one of those suckers... whoops...
EAB91B78-426E-4FDD-AD5A-CF53DD79ADFE.jpeg
Well... now also welcome to the club of noobs that spend more than $100 for a powerhead.
We will send your new badge over in a bit.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always imagined those spending over $100 for a powerhead were suckers when jebao sells perfectly fine powerheads for a fraction of the cost ($45 for a pp-4).

So long as it lasts as long or longer than 2 or 3 similarly sized Jebao's, you're allowed.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nice PH I have a 40 and love it, Down the road get one of those backup battery packs and it will run for 3 days if your power goes out alot, mine does (DTE), BRS just did a review yesterday on these heads and back up..check it out....and Na that's not my pooch, He just makes me chuckle every time I see it. This Is Miley (below) ...........Keep up the good work!
I bought her the sealy so she would stay off the leather....and now she has both:mad:;Blackeye
29573208_357645358073051_2237859990809013891_n.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Samnaz,

I just found your thread and I'll be following along. Its great that you reinforced the stand. Stay patient with your build. Like you, I had some stand anxiety in my build, plumbing difficulties to overcome, and I got great advice from the R2R community (Janci thanks!). Your build is loking great so far. The stand really turned out nice. I'm looking forward to seeing where you take the scape and livestock. With your attention to detail I'm sure it will turn out great!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 51.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.7%
Back