Long-clawed hermit crabs reef safe?

shartpants007

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 21, 2021
Messages
115
Reaction score
45
Location
NJ
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also for consideration, are reefs long-clawed hermit crabs safe?
I've been finding tons of these fellows at the beach the past few days, and was wondering if I could add them to my tank safely. Wouldn't want to even try though if there are any major risks involved. I googled, of course, but didn't find any definite answers.
 
Hmm, I'd be real careful with unknown/untested hermit crabs as many are not reef safe and some can eventually get quite large. If from your local ocean in NJ, they would have difficulties with the consistent tropical temperatures in your reef tank and at best they might survive, but would quite likely have a substantially reduced lifespan.
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new