Long distance ATO options

dburt520

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am in need of a long distance ATO setup. I am pumping water from a storage tank in my garage, roughly 12 FT of vertical head pressure, about 30 ft horizontally, and then down about 12 ft. I have been researching this for months now, and realize I have a few options. I am wanting to hear some real life reviews from reefers as my options aren't exactly popular/common options.

Spectrapure UPLC - This looks great, however I don't think I can bring myself to using an ATO which relies on section cups - I don't have much luck with them...

Avast Marine Top off Kit W/ Diaphragm Pump - This looks great, would meet my needs on the head pressure, however I don't see alot of people using it.

My last option would be to utilize my Apex break out box with float switches and move water with something like the 50 ML/min BRS dosing pump. This is the route I am currently leaning, but I am looking for reviews on the others.

Thanks
Dave

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Avast and have been very happy with it. Actually have 2, one in use around 3 years and one in use about a year.
No maintenance, no problems.
I have no experience with their diaphragm pump though as I use an aqualifter on my setups.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the UPLC II for over 8 years now and been 100% pleased. I wasnt sure about the suction cups either but found a dab of silicone on the cup had kept it in place for years. It would be simple to make a hanger out of acrylic but I never found the need.
In 8 years I have replaced exactly one silicone peristaltic tube which is a normal wear item.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of the 2 listed I would go with the spectrepure. The avast is nice too but not sure on the specs of the diaphragm pump. It would be better with the peristaltic pump. But for the cost of the avast with that pump I would def go with the spectrepure

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with the spectrapure, you don't be disappointed! I ended up mounting my sensor to an old koralia magnet, works great. Mine is also going on about 8 years on constant use.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 55 32.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 46 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 32.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back