Long snail like ears coming from zoa frag rock

needlehandssoftfingers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just brought this frag home a few days ago and dipped, am seeing these weird things coming out between the zoas. I can see 3 pairs so far

16627639397961416909886813729829.jpg

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are the horns of the devil right there, not bad for the zoas at all but when they burrow into ur sps……

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spionid worms, they borrow into coral skeleton and poke out, dips don’t kill them in their burrows from what I’ve gathered…
You would need to cut the zoas off as their in the plug or rock the zoas are growing on….not a huge problem at all though for zoas
Also I’m not sure, maybe someone will chime in…but depending on how line the coral has been in there they may already have migrated else where
As all hitchhikers, it ain’t the end of the world just a new friend

OP
OP
N

needlehandssoftfingers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spionid worms, they borrow into coral skeleton and poke out, dips don’t kill them in their burrows from what I’ve gathered…
You would need to cut the zoas off as their in the plug or rock the zoas are growing on….not a huge problem at all though for zoas
Also I’m not sure, maybe someone will chime in…but depending on how line the coral has been in there they may already have migrated else where
As all hitchhikers, it ain’t the end of the world just a new friend
Thanks for the quick replies, I was worried about my zoa :D looks like my first tank stay a noob tank haha

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries, it’s always exciting to see what a frag brings in….I bet a good chunk of people have these in their tanks, nice thing about getting em personally is you now know another thing to look for when buying corals…. I personally like getting new pest experience first hand, I’m kinda weird that way :p
Btw they are filter feeders the less small particulates you feed the less they will spread
I personally would hack that plug apart and glue the zoas onto something else, their easy enough to remove and can be a real burden with stony corals

OP
OP
N

needlehandssoftfingers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries, it’s always exciting to see what a frag brings in….I bet a good chunk of people have these in their tanks, nice thing about getting em personally is you now know another thing to look for when buying corals…. I personally like getting new pest experience first hand, I’m kinda weird that way :p
Btw they are filter feeders the less small particulates you feed the less they will spread
I personally would hack that plug apart and glue the zoas onto something else, their easy enough to remove and can be a real burden with stony corals
To be honest I probably wasn't going to put sps in here since I'm learning still but I am setting up an 85g soon that probably will handle swings better eh?

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would still cut them out asap, you never know where your tank or corals will end up and one thing I’ve learned about pest is the sooner action is taken the easier the battle, just my .02

OP
OP
N

needlehandssoftfingers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would still cut them out asap, you never know where your tank or corals will end up and one thing I’ve learned about pest is the sooner action is taken the easier the battle, just my .02
I super-puttied the frag to the rock already so I dunno how I'd go about it. On that note do people shave the frag plugs so they can fit into crevices or do u only put them where u can Fram them into rock? Didn't think about that until I started putting my first piece in

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to this.
Just to touch base again, there are a few types of spionid worms including the boring spionid worm which are infact not harmless, and a huge reef biodegrador.
I am looking for a solution to irradiate these buggers if anyone has one!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 111 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back