LONG stripy tentacles protruding from rock?

UncommonSense

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
May 4, 2025
Messages
4,902
Reaction score
5,942
Location
Monterey Bay area, California
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at @RobertK ’s live rock holding tank with him yesterday when he spotted these extremely long tentacles coming from a piece of KP aquatics rock:

IMG_1517.jpeg


There appear to be multiple of these organisms, with one pair of red/brown, and white striped tentacles per-organism… the large one’s pair of tentacles are very long (3”+), but only maybe 1mm wide at most…

It was a challenge to get a good photo of, so I took a video to try showing feeding behavior:





My best guess so far is Mesochaetopterus rogeri … thoughts?
 
Some sort of spaghetti worm would be my guess. They are harmless. I was going to say digitate hydroids, but they are usually whiter in color and look more like stringy bottle brushes, although I guess there could be different species.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 2 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new