Long tanks: what is your wave maker configuration?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6’ long 230 gal .
I have the over flow on one end , the jeabo crossflow 120 on the other
Running at full on wave 1

I was curious if that was enough or if I planned buying another would they make things better or worse .
There is flow in the opposite end of the tank where the hammer and Xenia frags are .

Thetankdoctor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummmm to be honest I think they alternate. Not 100% sure. I know I used the standard apex programming I figured that was a good start and I would adjust as needed. I have not touched them on like 6 month. They ramp up during the day and use 4 or 5 different wave patterns the apex has. They then ramp down to about 8% at night and stay on continuous. They work great are quiet and to be honest they were one of the only wav pumps I found that couple deal with my 1" acrylic.

Thetankdoctor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok just looked at my apex they Are all on at the same time but the "pulse" setting are basically opposite of each other from left to right looking at the tank. They all ramp up at about the same intervals and ramp down the same too but like I said with different pulse patterns. I am not sure if that was by design or not. But I added all 4 at the same time and each set has its own 1 link. So I am assuming apex did this on purpose. I can tell you this I use a grabber to reach the bottom of my tank (42" deep) and when they are at full flow (98%). I can feel them pushing the grabber all over at any point in the tank. So they move a ton of water.

Last edited:

Thetankdoctor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of the pumps on the left side from my apex. Shows what they are set at. The other left side is the same. The right sides are just backward of the type of pulse then this side

Screenshot_20210110-163756.png

Last edited:

Thetankdoctor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better pic shows the values

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210110-164027.png
    Screenshot_20210110-164027.png
    274 KB · Views: 48

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6' peninsula (167gal) you can checkout my build thread. Using only 2x Gyre XF250s but with the Hydros Wave Engine controller. Both Gyres are placed vertical on the same side one on each side of the overflow enabling a very clean look. Each blasts flow down it's respective side of the rock. I use the Hydros WaveEngine to create a more aggressive Random flow with higher minimums. When I had the normal controller that the Gyres come with the random mode would run two low and not push enough water in the tank.

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6’ long 230 gal .
I have the over flow on one end , the jeabo crossflow 120 on the other
Running at full on wave 1

I was curious if that was enough or if I planned buying another would they make things better or worse .
There is flow in the opposite end of the tank where the hammer and Xenia frags are .
Do you only get flow in one direction though?

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6' peninsula (167gal) you can checkout my build thread. Using only 2x Gyre XF250s but with the Hydros Wave Engine controller. Both Gyres are placed vertical on the same side one on each side of the overflow enabling a very clean look. Each blasts flow down it's respective side of the rock. I use the Hydros WaveEngine to create a more aggressive Random flow with higher minimums. When I had the normal controller that the Gyres come with the random mode would run two low and not push enough water in the tank.
Never heard of the hydro wave engine but at a quick glance it looks like a nice bit of kit. I wonder if it will be compatible with jebae Cross flow. I shall research this. Thanks!

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of the hydro wave engine but at a quick glance it looks like a nice bit of kit. I wonder if it will be compatible with jebae Cross flow. I shall research this. Thanks!

I am still very happy with mine. Will probably get a Control 4 in time. Here is a review I wrote about it after my first few days owning it.

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can’t really see much swaying on the acros on top but you can see back and forth swaying on gsp , lps .
Oh nice. I cannot see any swaying at all with my jebar crossflow on wave mode. How did you tune it to get sway?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh nice. I cannot see any swaying at all with my jebar crossflow on wave mode. How did you tune it to get sway?
W1 for mode and the dial about 1/2

the part I’m having trouble with . How far from the water surface is ideal ?
I have mine roughly 4” down .
but on a 27” deep tank , it seams to be doing ok .
the power is at its highest setting though

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is in wall. But it is 8' long I use 4 wav pumps. 2 on each size opposing each other. I use the stock apex settings for them both and it works excellent. I also have an oceans motions 8 way on my return and that alone creates a TON of flow in my tank. I cannot recommend the oceans motions enough. That being said I am pushing 7000gph with my return. So I have a ton of flow and movement to be honest in a 6' tank 2 or 3 wav pumps would be perfect.
hard to not blast things however....I may have to move a few corals, but I think in the end, it'll be worth it

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 200 gallon, 72 (long) x 30 (wide) x 22 (tall). I only want pumps on the return side of the tank (backwall) and do not want any cords in the tank (no exceptions, not doing any other way, want a very clean look).

It's going to be a mixed tank. Planning SPS on top 1/3 of the tank all the way down the 72 inches, and for the first 24 inches of the tank (high flow area) top to bottom of the tank. Planning LPS the last 48 inches of the tank placed in the middle to bottom section of the tank. Softies the last 24 inches of the tank near the bottom.

Question about what is best for flow?

1. Four MP 60's on the back wall, in each corner?
2. Two MP 60's on the back wall, and two MP40's. MP 60's up high in the corners and MP 40's down low in the corners?
3. Four MP 60's on the back wall, and two MP40's. MP 60's up high and middle in the corners and MP 40's down low in the corners.

I already have two MP 40's. Cost is not concern. Just want best flow and options.

zudo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 7' long, 30" deep by 20" wide tank and I just bought these two gyre Icecap 4K pumps,

These work great! The only complaint is there is no instructions but going to Youtube there are semi-ok videos to go thru the steps to use the phone application to set up the pumps the way you want. I have them on each end of the tank and it does an oscillating flow during the day and a lower flow version at night. They are super silent and powerful. I have them about 4-5" from the top and that provides wave flows all the way to the bottom. I had them a couple of inches lower than that and found that it moved the sand too much so I raised it and it works great now.

I already had a circulating pump that has one 1/2" out put and a larger perforated PVC hidden in the rocks that runs the length of the tank but that never provided enough flow to me and by adding these two gyre 4K's it is ideal.

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8ft tank with two Maxspect gyres one on each end of the tank. Can only run them at 50% max as they will blow the water out of the tank. WAYYYYYY more then what I need for an 8ft. tank

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8ft tank with two Maxspect gyres one on each end of the tank. Can only run them at 50% max as they will blow the water out of the tank. WAYYYYYY more then what I need for an 8ft. tank

How often do you have to clean them? How involved to clean them? could you attach them to a eurobrace?

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh good thread. I am trying to sort this out right now.. 5 foot long tank and I have three current 2100gph powerheads on the eflux/loop system.. I just don't have the budget for EcoTech.. this whole project has been done fairly inexpensively... anyways.. I just started experimenting with "wave" mode and wow... at first you would swear there was an earthquake happening.. but I reduced the flow intensity and changed the peak and valley times... I now have a nice "sloshy" back and sort of back and forth up and down at times with flow too...

The two pumps at the top right (#1 and #2) are on wave mode... one is pointing in front of the rock structure (pump #1) and the other (pump #2) is pointing behind the rock structure.. I have pump #2 at 90% frequency speed (.5sec on .5sec off) and 70% flow... pump #1 is at 40% frequency speed (3s on 3s off) and 50% flow (higher looked like it was too much for the cloves)... pump #3 on the lower left is just on constant flow at 60%.. (a limitation of the loop system is that #3 doesn't have wave/surge function)..

this seems to be a nice balance between wave and flow and I am not blasting sand all over.. my gsp finally stopped being curly at the ends.. my cloves seem good.. tank is only 6 months old.. so not a lot in it right now.. dealing with a cyanobacteria and algae outbreaks too.. anyways.. working on those outbreaks..

I was thinking about making pump #3 the second wave pump and them pump #2 would just put constant flow behind the rocks.. Is that the ideal scenario? idk.. Pumps 1 and 2 sort of facing each other but at different heights on wave/pulse mode then some constant flow in the back.. Pumps 1 and 2 are offtimed so it creates some good random flow.. I just got this whole system completely installed recently so still messing with it... I was going to leave this for a week or two and them maybe make pump #3 the other wave pump and pump #2 the circulation only one. Just to see how well that works..

IMG_4439-2.JPG

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 29 78.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.7%
Back