Long term freshwater nerd going salty

Sambengle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

I finally made the jump from freshwater to saltwater.

I've kept South-American and African cichlids for many years but saltwater has always looked intimidating to me. Recently a friend pointed out that since I've managed to keep even the most difficult cichlids alive and thriving a small saltwater tank shouldn't be a problem.

So here I am, facing my fears and going salty with an old 32.5g Fluval Flex. I plan on starting simple by adding a clownfish, a midas blenny and some shrimp over the coming months, with some soft corals.

I have no idea where this new adventure will take me. Maybe I will end up losing it and converting all my freshwater tanks to saltwater, even my 180g! Who knows! I'm very excited to start :)
I'm with you I'm new to saltwater

OP
OP
I

icereef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome! One thing I am learning the hard way right now... Midas blennies need to be fed a ton. They do not have a swim bladder so apparently they spend so much effort swimming that they often waste away as mine is doing. While one would be fine size-wise in your tank, if you really like them you may want to wait until the tank is well-established and stable to get one so the tank can keep up with a lot of nutrient input.
Noted! Thank you for the tip

OP
OP
I

icereef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum and to saltwater!
Cichlids are a great starter to saltwater imo. Half the saltwater fish I’ve come across are very much like them in behavior.
Great to hear! I love fish with personality and it sounds like there are plenty in the marine hobby

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

Back