Long term freshwater nerd going salty

icereef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

I finally made the jump from freshwater to saltwater.

I've kept South-American and African cichlids for many years but saltwater has always looked intimidating to me. Recently a friend pointed out that since I've managed to keep even the most difficult cichlids alive and thriving a small saltwater tank shouldn't be a problem.

So here I am, facing my fears and going salty with an old 32.5g Fluval Flex. I plan on starting simple by adding a clownfish, a midas blenny and some shrimp over the coming months, with some soft corals.

I have no idea where this new adventure will take me. Maybe I will end up losing it and converting all my freshwater tanks to saltwater, even my 180g! Who knows! I'm very excited to start :)

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whale GIF

Welcome to the salty side.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

I finally made the jump from freshwater to saltwater.

I've kept South-American and African cichlids for many years but saltwater has always looked intimidating to me. Recently a friend pointed out that since I've managed to keep even the most difficult cichlids alive and thriving a small saltwater tank shouldn't be a problem.

So here I am, facing my fears and going salty with an old 32.5g Fluval Flex. I plan on starting simple by adding a clownfish, a midas blenny and some shrimp over the coming months, with some soft corals.

I have no idea where this new adventure will take me. Maybe I will end up losing it and converting all my freshwater tanks to saltwater, even my 180g! Who knows! I'm very excited to start :)
Hello and welcome! One thing I am learning the hard way right now... Midas blennies need to be fed a ton. They do not have a swim bladder so apparently they spend so much effort swimming that they often waste away as mine is doing. While one would be fine size-wise in your tank, if you really like them you may want to wait until the tank is well-established and stable to get one so the tank can keep up with a lot of nutrient input.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back