Long tern sulfur denitrator use

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone knows of long term sulfur denitrator issues? When I say long term I mean more than a year of contiunous use.

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been watching this post for a while now. By the lack of response, I'm thinking there are few long term issues or few running running sulphur denitrators.
FWIW - I've been running one for about a year on mixed reef with a substantial fish load and heavy feeding. Very, very effective.

I'm curious as to why they are not more popular...

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it might have been the initial cost of the reactors. Fwiw, I ran a simple denitrator coil for years and it performed just as well as the sulfur units.

OP
OP
Tab28

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been watching this post for a while now. By the lack of response, I'm thinking there are few long term issues or few running running sulphur denitrators.
FWIW - I've been running one for about a year on mixed reef with a substantial fish load and heavy feeding. Very, very effective.

I'm curious as to why they are not more popular...

I am guessing you may be right about the long term affects. I have been running mine for years on and off. The longest for over a year now. When I clean it I usally let it set for a while before re-running it. I always had issues with nitrates years ago. I swear the liverock was manufacturing it. I could do a 50% water change and still no drop in nitrates. With the system never even a slight color change into the measure level.

I was worried since there may be some sulfur level in the water would accumulate, beyond simple water changes to correct.

Reef UP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe brad syphus (spelling ? ) sorry if I got that wrong brad but I know he's been running one for a while

reyesozaeta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sulfur denitrator is a part of my “No water change system” for over a year now. It’s just one of the players...the others are, algae reactor, biopellets, coil denitrator and
live rocks/anoxic environment. I use NO3PO4X or vodka for back up. It’s a heavily stocked mixed reef (SPS, LPS, NPS, Softies/mushrooms and gorgonians. I also have 2 riterri anemones. My success is using different denitrator systems working all at the same time

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, since the thread was started 8 years ago, I'm guessing the OP's figured out what the long-term usefulness of a sulfur denitrator are. ;)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back