Long time acrylic owners: cleaning tips wanted

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic tank since 2007 and no matter what I do I scratch it, but more so when I was using flip Magnets. I now use tunze and much better.

I also found that cleaning every 2 days puts the Coraline algae at bay. It also means that is takes me just 2-5 mins to clean a 3ft tall by 4 1/2 ft long tank.

What i won't do again is have a bow front acrylic tank. A right PITA to clean and scratches more than flat surface.

OP
OP
zalick

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic tank since 2007 and no matter what I do I scratch it, but more so when I was using flip Magnets. I now use tunze and much better.

I also found that cleaning every 2 days puts the Coraline algae at bay. It also means that is takes me just 2-5 mins to clean a 3ft tall by 4 1/2 ft long tank.

What i won't do again is have a bow front acrylic tank. A right PITA to clean and scratches more than flat surface.
I used my mighty magnet the other day just for some film algae. And had a thin slice of magic eraser. It still caused tons of scratches. Thankfully you can't see most acrylic scratches when lights are on.

My obsession with a scratch free tank fades every day. Learning these scratches don't change the enjoyment of viewing has been a long road! :)

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used my mighty magnet the other day just for some film algae. And had a thin slice of magic eraser. It still caused tons of scratches. Thankfully you can't see most acrylic scratches when lights are on.

My obsession with a scratch free tank fades every day. Learning these scratches don't change the enjoyment of viewing has been a long road! :)
When I had my tank leak last year, I implemented a long overdue plan. At the bottom of tank I cemented a strip of black acrylic right across the tank. This way: 1) I don’t have to scrape the tank to the very bottom where sand and gravel is. 2) I can have sand and gravel up to 2-3 cm and the tunze blades still do not pull up any sand/gravel.
This has helped immensely. I don’t care it there is algae where I can’t see it and it also matches my hood which is black acrylic.

at least this solves the issue of the bottom of the tank. ;)
image.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What pad are you using on the mighty magnet? I put a scratch into my tank using the algae cutter pad (the one with the plastic wedge) but the regular white scrub pad leaves no scratches.

I did a few things to my tank to try to minimize scratches. First, I have the lights oriented so that they do not fall significantly onto the front panel which slows algae growth. Second I built my stand with a higher bottom, removable rail that acts as a guide for my MM scraper and it cannot accidently dip into the sand. Every few months I take off the rail so i can get down to the sand, but I'm very careful not to get sand into the pad. Third, I use the sea floor sand which is somewhat coarser and does not kick up quite as easily.

IMG_0697.JPG

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’m a long time acrylic tank owner. I use a hammerhead magnet with acrylic pad and then the cover from a dobi pad inside the tank, and a clean microfiber towel on the outside. I spray the outside with brillianze before I run the magnets. No problems. However I do not do the bottom inch so as not to pick up sand. I like the idea of a piece of trim or molding to hide this area. I get my three pack of dobi pads at target. Then I cut the sewn end off and pull the sponge out and place on magnet. I’ve been doing this for years.

OP
OP
zalick

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What pad are you using on the mighty magnet? I put a scratch into my tank using the algae cutter pad (the one with the plastic wedge) but the regular white scrub pad leaves no scratches.

I did a few things to my tank to try to minimize scratches. First, I have the lights oriented so that they do not fall significantly onto the front panel which slows algae growth. Second I built my stand with a higher bottom, removable rail that acts as a guide for my MM scraper and it cannot accidently dip into the sand. Every few months I take off the rail so i can get down to the sand, but I'm very careful not to get sand into the pad. Third, I use the sea floor sand which is somewhat coarser and does not kick up quite as easily.

IMG_0697.JPG
I discovered that my sand was my issue. I had fine sand. No matter what, fish would kick up some sand in the water column on a regular basis. It would stick to the barely visible film algae and you couldn’t see the sand. This is what scratched with the MM.

ive since removed the fine sand and replaced with special grade. No more sand in the water column and no more scratches!

there should be a warning for all acrylic owners: beware of fine sand!

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is scary!!

I have an acrylic 60g, haven’t got any scratches from a flipper magnet with a magic eraser. I but the magic eraser in three long ways, so it’s not so thick. But it’s only been up and running since January.

OP
OP
zalick

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is scary!!

I have an acrylic 60g, haven’t got any scratches from a flipper magnet with a magic eraser. I but the magic eraser in three long ways, so it’s not so thick. But it’s only been up and running since January.
My scratches are plentiful but truly minor. I can’t see them unless looking at the perfect angles and up close. Standing three feet away you can’t see them at all. I don’t actually notice them on a day to day basis. Had I used special grade, I’d have zero scratches! (Or close to zero)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave up on the really fine sand in favor of special grade a while back. Still use it in my RDSB, but that’s it.

Diane Matten

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the aqua tower 55 which is 48inch column, acrylic, $$ and scratch prone. there is only one way Ive found to run it-it was fw planted and not salt reef but the same concept applies: run lighting low enough the bottom zone doesn't get scum on it. that alters light intensity maximums around scratching, not par at the bottom.

for the top Im 100% scratch free after 3 years due to drain off 2/3 water into a brute, exposing inside. wet rag of 3% peroxide wipe, allow to sit 3 mins refill. burns it off clean no scrape. not prepping new water, putting the taken water back.

price of zero scratches.

I realize this isn't practical for everyone, but it is for nano keepers or someone who absolutely will not accept scratches on a fourteen hundred dollar tank. that's me. ill drain and refill that rascal forever if that's what it takes, at least something works with no scraping.

reefs will have calcium carbonate accretions from little worms and unavoidables, and peroxide won't dissolve those. reefing in acrylic is guaranteed scratches Im afraid but they can be lessened with drained access Im certain by practice.

My problem is not algae, it is mineral build up. I have this same tank - for over 20 years - and it has a very thing coat of mineral build up which makes it look blurry. I've tried acrylic cleaner, vinegar, lemon juice...and a little scraping, but it is so fine, nothing comes off. Any thoughts?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back