Longer Less Intense Lighting versus Shorter More Intense Lighting: Which is better?

Which do you think is better for your reef?

• Longer Less Intense Lighting

Votes: 199 40.0%
  • Shorter More Intense Lighting

Votes: 68 13.7%
  • No Difference

Votes: 22 4.4%
  • Not sure

Votes: 191 38.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 18 3.6%

• Total voters

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Longer less intense provides a greater window for photosynthesis throughout the day if you have less light more intense your photosynthesis. Is cut way back

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my lights have a "cloud" program. when I have it on, the tank will go random shade, from left to right, across the tank. haven't used it in a while though. novelty wore off.
:cool:
I want that cloud thingy!
Sounds like a cool, “must have” toy. LOL!
Too bad I only have a cheap black box. Might have to get creative!

kaceyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen amazing tanks running both ways, and with high light with a long photo period, so it comes down to personal preference. They will acclimate to either. As long as you acclimate them slow enough and don't deprive them of enough light for photosynthesis.

Justin Aretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is too open to subjective and anecdotal info - different species and genus require a vast range of both PAR, PUR, DLI and a spectrum variation. This is the precursor to the actual question in my opinion. Also, there is more than likely at least a range where there is a right or a wrong answer

stephen wyard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my lights for ten hours one hour ramp up and on hour to ramp down.Run all my blues at 100% but my whites stay about 10%.I found with my tank when I increase the white I burn the low light corals.I have had got color and growth with this set up.Like they say if it isn't broken don't try to fix it.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tagging along.. I have never really done short periods as I like to see my tank in the am as I am going out the door to work and evening when back... Good thread idea....

uhupong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With no scientific backing, I'm saying longer, less intense. No different than how I'd prefer to eat: over a longer period of time, but smaller meals. I don't think I'd be happier with one GIANT meal versus food throughout the day.
Also, if the light gets too intense, it could still cause bleaching issues (I think).
But If you want to be a super athele, then it is quite opposite to what you mentioned. Take a look how Micheal Phelps eat during Olympic.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ramp up and ramp down to mimic nature.
I use two sets of T'5s to crudely ramp up and down and halide for midday:

3.5 hr T5's (in 2 stages)
4 hr halide
3.5 hr T5's (in 2 stages)

If I could only get myself to like LED's, the ramp up and down phases would be much smoother, but not the most important thing in the overall scheme of things.

aurora.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's both - I have all day low intensity lighting with a relatively short peak of high intensity due to the programming of my Kessils

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my AI Prime Reef HD with UV's, and Blues at about 80%. Ramp up at noon, ramp down at 9. 1 hour ramp up and down. Not seeing any bleaching, corals seem happy. I was actually looking for some maps so I could experiment.

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to mimic the sun’s intensity as much as possible with my lights. I have three G3 Radion XR30 Pro’s over my 220G tank that are controlled by my apex. I set up the lighting schedule to match the average solar radiation curve. It has been set up this way for nearly 5 years now and I’ve seen very good coral growth over that time.

B191A347-210F-4825-9EBE-39DE68FFC374.jpeg

One thing that I like about this is that it seems very natural for the fish. As the lights dim in the last 45 minutes or hour I can see that many of my fish start heading to their sleeping places even before the lights are totally shut off. And by the time the lights do shut off most of the fish that go into the rocks to sleep are already there.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want that cloud thingy!
Sounds like a cool, “must have” toy. LOL!
Too bad I only have a cheap black box. Might have to get creative!
funny thing, it will do "lightening" too which is more or less a quick strobe. again random and very annoying.
:cool:

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted "other" because I run a longer period at the same intensity. I figured if light was a good thing I would give them a little more of the good thing. I went from 8 hours to 12 hours. Maybe I could see a little improvement but it might just be me wanting it to look better. No problems and I'm 98% acros.

FunnierThanUThink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an 8hr max intensity photo period with a 2hr ramp up and 1hr ramp down. I noticed I get better overall growth and appearance on my corals at a lower level. I have experimented a lot and found I can run a 4hr max intensity at a greater intensity level, but I noticed some corals will get aggravated sometimes. Anything more than 8hrs on low intensity seems to aggravate my corals also. I have an ai prime, low intensity 50-60% blue and white 8%, but I do get a lot of direct sunlight, all day, on the tank unfortunately. I believe even indirect sunlight will affect a tank for lighting at this point. I will be moving soon and placing the tank in a room with no sunlight. I will be interesting to see the affects, I am convinced the sunlight is adding too much par on one section of the tank.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to mimic the sun’s intensity as much as possible with my lights. I have three G3 Radion XR30 Pro’s over my 220G tank that are controlled by my apex. I set up the lighting schedule to match the average solar radiation curve. It has been set up this way for nearly 5 years now and I’ve seen very good coral growth over that time.

B191A347-210F-4825-9EBE-39DE68FFC374.jpeg

One thing that I like about this is that it seems very natural for the fish. As the lights dim in the last 45 minutes or hour I can see that many of my fish start heading to their sleeping places even before the lights are totally shut off. And by the time the lights do shut off most of the fish that go into the rocks to sleep are already there.
I have noticed the same with my fish. My leopard wrasse is in the sand bed before the lights are all blue.

smacbride

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run longer periods. I like to enjoy looking at my tank. Also I think that's closer to nature where most of these critters come from.

JimFuller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correctly, @Dana Riddle did some studies on this. There was a correlation about PAR over time and PUR. I am not sure I remember what it was, but I am sure I read about on Reef2Reef.

I run my new Radio XR30 Blue G5 at 50% intensity for 8 Hours. This gives me a total light time of 12 Hours with 2 hour ramp up and 2 Hours ramp down. It appears to be working well on my tank.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been many examinations of zooxanthellae's responses to light intensity, including a few I did while in Hawaii. There are hundreds of 'types' (clades) of zooxanthellae. Some are 'sun' types whiles others are 'shade' types. A third type is highly adaptable. An analogy can be seen during a trip to a nursery - there are 'shade' plants, 'full sun' plants. It's a good idea to follow the nursery's recommendations but plants can adapt to a certain degree to light fields but will never thrive. Now, to compound things, we have to consider whether the type/clade can produce photoprotective xanthophylls and the shunting of violet/blue light away from the photosynthetic apparatus by reflective chromoproteins and fluorescent proteins. It seems that photosaturation occurs in many corals at PAR values of 300 to 400. There are exceptions of course. For example, Montipora capitata is at maximum photosynthesis at PAR of just over 100 and excessive light will bleach/kill it. On the other hand, Tridacna derasa's photosynthesis shows no sign of slowing down at industrial strength sunlight. So, it's all a compromise when it comes to lighting. Personally, the lighting in my tank is 200-250 at the sandbed at maximum intensity. The DLI is about 7. So, bottom line less intense for a time to obtain a Daily Light Integral of about 7.

Last edited:

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer my tank on a long less intense cycle. Again no scientific basis but just going off how my tank works and does well. I think it will vary on what kind of corals you have in the tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back