Look at what I saw on LiveAquaria today....

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never thought that captive-bred and wild-caught yellow tangs would be the same price! If you were buying a yellow tang, which would you get?

Screenshot 2019-11-25 at 3.56.52 PM.png

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither are WYSIWYG so photos are stock pictures and the latter is ‘on sale’, but your point is well made. Spread used to favor wild caught, now it’s much closer.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That captive bred Yellow tang in the picture above is a lot smaller than the wild caught. This can be deduce from the larger ration of the eye to the head. Smaller is a big plus to me. I love to buy smaller fish.
Once that smaller Yellow tang get larger, the color will be just as good. There does not seem to be any deformities to me with that one picture. I would get the TR fish in this case for sure.

U

User1

View Badges
Tank raised. Supports the effort and movement.

So far I have two tank raised or whatever it is called. Matted file fish and yellow assessor. The matted file fish came in super small at the size of a dime. The assessor was larger but in great shape. Interesting fish although I never see it.

But great price and I'd go with TR.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though I probably will never have another YT, in the case where a given fish is the same price or just a few dollars more to me it's a no brainer to go captive bred.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you pick a wild caught wolf over a golden retriever? I’m in for a golden

there is a ton of manual labor that goes into getting these fish to the market. We should as hobbyists all be supporting captive bred efforts. I dream of a day when all or most marine aquarium fish are captive bred and getting wild caught fish is rarely needed. Hopefully the industry will continue to see advances and these discussions no longer needed. But for now, please support our hobby and it’s captive bred industry!

Last edited:

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait for the price to come down yellow tang is a really common fish and usually go for 30 to 40 bucks tops. Idk why but within the last 6 months everything has gone threw the roof price wise

Because Hawaii put a ban on capturing tangs .

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d agree with other posters that the captive bred one is probably much smaller. When I got my captive bred mandarin she came in one of the cups you pee in at the doctors office and was the size of my pinkie finger. It’s been fun to watch her grow up and get fat. I’d still do captive bred.

Reef Raff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never thought that captive-bred and wild-caught yellow tangs would be the same price! If you were buying a yellow tang, which would you get?

Screenshot 2019-11-25 at 3.56.52 PM.png
Captive bred all day, I recently purchased one about a little over month ago and he is my favorite fish in the tank. Great personality, ate anything I feed immediately and almost tame enough to hand feed (working on it). He’s sleeping right now or I’d attach a pic :)

Redleg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No question. I'd get the tank raised at $75 so the same price is a bonus. But if the option was tank raised or wild from my Lfs , then wild caught.

dstevenstn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Yellow Tang was Captive bred, and has been a great addition. I got it a very reasonable price too. So that gets my vote

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 35 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back