Look what I made!

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 26, 2009
Messages
2,095
Reaction score
1,489
Location
AltamonteSprings, FL
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look what I made.....:)

IMG00309-20100320-0833.jpg


IMG00310-20100320-0833.jpg


IMG00311-20100320-0833.jpg


This is a actual cave/arch. Fish can swim through it
IMG00312-20100320-0833.jpg
 
No they sink like a rock.....
100% ceramic fired at 1800 degrees
I have always made my own frag plugs and disk but I got bored so I tried something else.
 
hmmmm.. are you gonna cycle them before using?? i have noticed in my exp. with ceramic plugs that they tend to grow algae leading me to believe they leach po4... is it true im not sure but i remember a thread floating around with this exact question and he was doing experiments with them to see...his intial findings were yes it did leach....
as long as you cycle them i think it would be fine if not they might leach a whole bunch of po4....i have to find that thread and bump it and see the conclusion of it...
 
hmmmm.. are you gonna cycle them before using?? i have noticed in my exp. with ceramic plugs that they tend to grow algae leading me to believe they leach po4... is it true im not sure but i remember a thread floating around with this exact question and he was doing experiments with them to see...his intial findings were yes it did leach....
as long as you cycle them i think it would be fine if not they might leach a whole bunch of po4....i have to find that thread and bump it and see the conclusion of it...


I also remember this.
 
Those look really cool!! I have just been glueing small chunks of LR together but I like your designs.
 
hmmmm.. are you gonna cycle them before using?? i have noticed in my exp. with ceramic plugs that they tend to grow algae leading me to believe they leach po4... is it true im not sure but i remember a thread floating around with this exact question and he was doing experiments with them to see...his intial findings were yes it did leach....
as long as you cycle them i think it would be fine if not they might leach a whole bunch of po4....i have to find that thread and bump it and see the conclusion of it...

I remeber that thread as well. From what I have noticed is this. I have frag plugs that I have made and I have frag plugs from other people and other stores all in the same tank. I have noticed that the egg crate in my frag tank will grow algae, some of the other plugs I have will grow algae. The disk I have made have never grown algae. I don't know if it the ceramic I use or what. I do not use clay. I know some times people use clay. The stuff I use is actually called Slip. It is like water when I first get it. You can not even make a ball of it at first. I have to pour it into a 5 gallon bucket and use a cup to scroop it out. I then pour a slab on a mold and let some of the water evaporate. Then it is workable. Once I got these made it took a almost 10 days for the water to evaporate out of them before I could even put them in the kiln.

Now I have had these is RODI water for about a 36 hours just because I need to get the air bubbles out and dust off. I am going to test the TDS because I have never made something this big.
 
Rite on man... Keep us updated.. I hear that egg crate leaches po4 but I find that hard to believe myself being it is plastic.. They sell acrylic egg crate but it is pricey... I think the white just atracts so much light it blooms with algae myself... I'm not a chemist so I will prolly never know lol...
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 10 5.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 28 16.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 59 33.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 6.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 27 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 6.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new