Look where I found 2 Baby Maxima Clams!!!!!!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
WOW

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to rain on your parade, but while you may have clams on the snail shell, these are the non photosynthetic clams, not Tridacna clams. Your clam will slowly died in your tank because there are not enough particles in a normal reef tank to feed them.
Your pictures are not clear enough, but with a clearer picture, we all can see that these are not Tridacna clams.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, was cleaning my tank yesterday and saw an Astrea snail that the shell looked totally WEIRD! Got a flashlight to get a better look, and HOLY CRUD! it has 2 baby maximas attached! They both reacted well to the light, (closing when shadowed), so hopefully I'll be able to get them put in a good spot when the snail finally dies.
Have any of you folks seen this before??

-2652941548453605284.jpg
Dude! That's cool!

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last turbo snail lived over 8 years. And I have a few other types that I don't even remember when I got them.......So no matter what type of clams they are, they have a long ride ahead of them.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeez who brought the party poopers lol... either way cool score !!!
Right! I was rooting for this guy until the negative Nancy’s Came out
Party poopers!!!!!!. Pointing out the truth and you call us party poopers and negative Nancy.
Same thing happened quite a few years ago over at ReefCentral. Overthere people recommended that the OP kill the snail and attach his shell to a rock so he can keep his "hitch hiker Maxima" alive.
People, don't be so ........ Just because an animal is a bivalve, it does not automatically a Tridacnid clam. Just becasue you pick up a piece of metal of the street, don't assume it is gold and plan to buy a house with it.

jayala12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Party poopers!!!!!!. Pointing out the truth and you call us party poopers and negative Nancy.
Same thing happened quite a few years ago over at ReefCentral. Overthere people recommended that the OP kill the snail and attach his shell to a rock so he can keep his "hitch hiker Maxima" alive.
People, don't be so ........ Just because an animal is a bivalve, it does not automatically a Tridacnid clam. Just becasue you pick up a piece of metal of the street, don't assume it is gold and plan to buy a house with it.
It’s a joke bud. Clam down :D

liveround69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way its a nice hitch hiker for free in my opinion.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back