Looking back at when you joined R2R . . . . .

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I was looking for information on Google and initially signed up on Manhattan Reefs but was not impressed. Kept looking online and found R2R. I do miss some of the people who were on all of the time when I joined and that I haven't seen in months.
As with any forum, people come and go but seem to make it back

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious on what the difference between a fb group and a forum like R2R. I had an account in 2018, but forgot the login info. I never really participated until 2021 when I made a new account. This forum is much more active than fb groups and not as full of sales posts. There is a lot of good info here if Reefers take the time to search for it. Reef2Reef is my kind of "place" to hangout, and talk shop with Reefers and industry folks alike. I will be here for a long time. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I looked something up, here I was
I have no other social media, don't do you tube and am not that tech savvy but I finally joined and started posting. I'm glad I did
I work a lot and have very few people I know, really but I feel like I have friends on here although I have never met anyone face to face.
I've had a few run ins on here, sure but I love helping people and someone out there has to benefit from all these years of my spending money.
Plus I've learned so much on here from so many.

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Central, PBMAS and Nano-Reef.

This platform wasn’t by choice, it’s the only one left with a heart beat

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you discover Reef2Reef?
Every question I had, the algorithm pulled r2r for the answer. So I decided to cut out the middle man (goggle). Also there was a WWC live sale that I wanted to hit and had to join r2r to have a shot at the raffle prizes (won an xr15).

What were your hopes when you signed up for an account?

get answers to my questions, that has happened. now it is more about the community formed than anything.

Be Honest- What encouraged you to join?

as above, the shot at winning wwc raffle prizes.

Did you accomplish your hope(s) and what do you still hope for?

I won, and then I won in other live sales.

The community is lively and there is plenty to do here. I was looking for a freshwater version of this (still am to a large degree) and what I found was lackluster.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had family members who were into the hobby, and they told me to check out r2r since it had good resources for me since I want to get a tank. Checked it out and was amazed with how much content was on it. Now it is just a fun place to hang out with everyone, look at some amazing tanks and just learn more and more about the hobby

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I joined 12/09 which I think makes me one of the earliest members. Joined primarily to gain knowledge from experts on reef care, over the years I have gained much knowledge and even offered a little of my own. We all know the great strides that this hobby has made and continues to make. I can’t wait to what the future brings.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whether way back or recent, remember when you joined R2r, :

How did you discover Reef2Reef?

What were your hopes when you signed up for an account?

Be Honest- What encouraged you to join?

Did you accomplish your hope(s) and what do you still hope for?

In honesty, I was looking for a credible outlet to sell some items I had laying around. A couple of members that came to my house saw my tanks and stated that they were surprised I didnt post any tank pics and share the info I gave them. I then took the next step and even remember telling Crabs McJones when i reached 5,000 and 10,000 posts as it became a joy. It was also a time when we saw each other at the 4-5 frag swaps annually and where $100 spent got you 7-9 sizeable frags to take home.

Ive met many persons both in person and online and as technology advanced over the years, I became able to share pics and text those who needed to reach me.
Well 1st and foremost, let's all give a round of applause for @vetteguy53081
Very knowledgeable and informative poster here, who I've learned lots from....and never fails to respond or reach out to help.

Always had Freshwater Tanks for over 20 years. Started looking at saltwater aquariums for last 10 years. Watched 1000's of YouTube videos, read tons of articles...was afraid to pull the trigger for a long time.

Always Lurking on R2R and similar forums. Finally joined In 21.

I've gotten great feedback,,information from this board, also found many people who like to argue amongst themselves for no reason...aka..loudest person in the room syndrome .

Overall, one of if not the
GOAT Saltwater Tank Community's on these here Interwebs!

When it's not football season,,this is my go to spot at night to learn and to help others on here ...as I'm on every night .

I still keep up during football season,, just not as much.

Vacation Swimming GIF by ABC Network

Clap Good Job GIF by VH1

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back