Looking back at when you joined R2R . . . . .

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Whether way back or recent, remember when you joined R2r, :

How did you discover Reef2Reef?

What were your hopes when you signed up for an account?

Be Honest- What encouraged you to join?

Did you accomplish your hope(s) and what do you still hope for?

In honesty, I was looking for a credible outlet to sell some items I had laying around. A couple of members that came to my house saw my tanks and stated that they were surprised I didnt post any tank pics and share the info I gave them. I then took the next step and even remember telling Crabs McJones when i reached 5,000 and 10,000 posts as it became a joy. It was also a time when we saw each other at the 4-5 frag swaps annually and where $100 spent got you 7-9 sizeable frags to take home.

Ive met many persons both in person and online and as technology advanced over the years, I became able to share pics and text those who needed to reach me.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly came to to R2R because of the activity. Many of the forums I used to browse, either no longer exist or have low activity. The first forum I ever joined was Reef Aquarium Guide. Then Reef Central. I then defected from RAG during the Reefs.com or was it reefs.org (I don’t remember) fiasco. Shortly thereafter I also joined Nano-Reef.

I joined here originally sometime in 2009 or 2010 but didn't recall the username I used, so I used my old RC username when I really started getting back in it. I always had a tank just never got around to doing much with it and it was neglected.

I still participate here and on RC but don’t really participate elsewhere. I personally deem forums a much more accurate source of information if I have a question. I’ve seen so much bad information on FB groups, it’s no wonder there’s tanks that fail regularly.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I joined to get up to date on the "latest & greatest" info on keeping a saltwater tank as I'd been away from the hobby since the early 90's.

I simply Googled "most popular saltwater aquarium forum" and BAM! Here we are.

I think I accomplished my goal, but the "latest & greatest" sometimes seems a heck of a lot more difficult than it was back in the day.

danimal1211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Online forums have been a huge source of knowledge from the beginning of my interest in reef aquariums. Even when I haven’t had a tank I’ve kept up with the hobby through them. I too first started at the RAG, then reef central. Nano-Reef was a great source for LED info when that took off. Picos as well.
I believe it was the Zoa forum that I came here for, but this is certainly the place to be now. So many articles and great threads have made their way here.

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just always looking up stuff and I liked how r2r looked on my phone. It was also easy to understand the ui. Also most awnsers were on it. So when I had a weird thing on a rock I made a post asking if it was a majano. Which it obviously was.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting topic! I stumbled across R2R via some google searches and am so very happy I did! So many nice knowledgeable folks here. A truly amazing resource. I've also had the privilege of meeting some of you in person.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I originally started on a small forum called reef frontiers.com and also the infamous reef central.
Back in the spring of 2006 I started seeing members on RC that had Club-Zoa under their user names, mostly in the zoanthid forum.
Two or three was a fad starting IMO, but then I saw a few dozen. Got me curious, so I sent a PM to a member that had that Club-Zoa under their name and I was informed about a new forum called Club-Zoa.com. ( rev, was that you?)
Being into zoanthids, I joined in July of 2006. Not too long down the road it became R2R.
I loved the look of the forum back then. Similar to the dark look here now.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whether way back or recent, remember when you joined R2r, :

How did you discover Reef2Reef?

What were your hopes when you signed up for an account?

Be Honest- What encouraged you to join?

Did you accomplish your hope(s) and what do you still hope for?
-I came across R2R from a recommendation from that-other-forum-that-shall-not-be-named as I was researching something (don't remember what at this point) and a post here had relevant information.

-I was hoping to be able to learn, and one day also be able to contribute and help out others.

-That this place was and still is much more friendly than that other - even if mods sometimes have to come through.

-I hope so, still learning, still sharing my experiences and knowledge with anyone I can help while understanding this hobby is way too big for anyone person to be the perfect master at the entire scope. Which is why it's great to have @Randy Holmes-Farley for chemistry, @Jay Hemdal for illness and nutrition, Dana Riddle for lighting, and then so many others who actively study individual details in depth and share that knowledge right back out to the community.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy, opening up the ol time capsule here. I joined about 2 years after starting my reef. I believe I stumbled across this site through a Google search. Had questions so I signed up. I remember everyone was really friendly. I very quickly moved up the ladder sharing my knowledge until one day I was asked to join the reef squad. Did that and next thing I know I was apart of the mod team. Great group of people whom I still contact to this day despite being out of the hobby for 3 or 4 years. Love you guys!
And I have met and seen @vetteguy53081 reefs in person. Let me tell you, pictures do not do them justice. He's a super nice guy with some amazing tanks!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got isolated from my job, church, and friends because of being in a full time caregiver role. My son had been on reef central so I joined it to have folks to talk aquariums with. Unfortunately, not being forum savvy I accidently asked about selling live rock and pricing and found myself slapped with infractions and unable to post. So I went looking for other aquarium forums and found R2R. That will be 10 years ago on Feb 5th. I like looking back on my build threads to see how my reef has progressed. I still enjoy interacting with other members even though I am no longer in a caregiving role.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I joined looking for what everyone was doing after some time outside the hobby.
Locals were very closed about who they let in. Plus I was a halide and live rock reefer so I was an outcast, lol.
If you did it different than they did you were ignored.
Not until my reef was a year plus old did anyone notice.
Once I tried leds and then later converted all tanks to leds did they show interest.
I keep reefing simple and have found that many here do the same.
I now have reefing friends from all over the planet.

Brisk

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I joined R2R recently on October of 2023. I joined up when I decided that I wanted to start a reef aquarium. I saw many beginners on the forum like myself and I know I'll be asking questions, get advices, help, etc from others.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking for information on Google and initially signed up on Manhattan Reefs but was not impressed. Kept looking online and found R2R. I do miss some of the people who were on all of the time when I joined and that I haven't seen in months.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back