Looking for a good LED for 150g

FunWithFishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

So, I am currently in the process of setting up a new 150g tank. My current 55g tank has taught me a lot and I am excited to try something bigger. One question I have is on lighting. My 55g uses a black box led that has done pretty well at growing corals in certain areas, but the coverage is spotty, and I want something with a little more even distribution.

The new tanks dimensions are 60x24x24, with an in-tank overflow at the very center. I was wondering if anyone had some good led suggestions for tanks with those specs that I can look into. I am trying not to break the bank, but want what's good for my inhabitants.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much are you looking to spend? Unfortunately, some of the name-brand LEDs can cost quite a lot, especially if you want very 100% coverage. You could consider a LED/T5 hybrid solution. Or, you could buy more fixtures and keep them higher off the water to get more coverage.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KESSIL KESSIL KESSIL. There, I will just say it before you are inundated with it. LOL.
(edit: You will need 14 of them for that tank. Because KESSIL)

I don't use them, I'm just a trouble maker. ;)

What budget do you have?

What are you wanting to grow?

Think about long term budget for upkeep as well.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly speaking, if I were to buy right now for that tank, I would look at three of the SB reef lights. I have seen a lot of photos of beautiful tanks with them on them and the price is pretty incredible for what you get.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want LED, but don't have a huge budget, the Reef Breeders or the SB Reef Lights would be a good option for you :)

OP
OP
FunWithFishes

FunWithFishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the suggestions. I would prefer to do a mixed reef tank, maybe a few easier sps like birdsnest which I have had luck with in the past, but i also have some favia, a trumpet, and a frogspawn that I want to be happy.

My biggest concern is depth as I feel 24" is a deep tank compared to a lot of 18 I see. I imagine I could keep my chalice on the bottom, but wanted to make sure the two light I picked would be above to give enough light to low light bottom coral

Michael Llabona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefbreeder photon or sb reef lights. They are better quality than you basic black box but not as expensive as the premier units. Another option is to do a hybrid solution. Black box with t5 retrofit. The t5 will solve your concerns LEDs being spotty.

OP
OP
FunWithFishes

FunWithFishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looking over the sb reef lights, and reefbreeder photons, I look like the look of them, and seem to be good prices, especially for what you get! I think I like the look of the reefbreeders a little more, but not sure what size I'd want for my tank dimensions, especially since I have the overflow in the middle.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, as far as cost goes, you might as well go with the 50". Two 24s cost more.

I still believe that's a lot of money for light but, I'm cheap. :D

OP
OP
FunWithFishes

FunWithFishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, as far as cost goes, you might as well go with the 50". Two 24s cost more.

I still believe that's a lot of money for light but, I'm cheap. :D

I hear you. I've been trying to cut costs with some DIY pieces (like building my own stand) but I know light makes a big difference and it's one of the things that I'm okay to splurge on :p

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t forget patience.

Stalk the used section.

Every single suggestion here has been spot on. Becuse they all grow coral.
The RB SB, and 360 are all about equallly Matched for power. 360 being the lowest Esp with lens options, better spread , but less coverage as it’s a puck.

I’m a coverage nut. (3 16in SB son a 48 tank.)
We’re money no object , I’d look at the longest SBreeflight ULtra(a 50 would do) or the longest Photon.

Hypen2000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious as to why no one suggested the radion eco tech xr15 or xr30? Is it simply the cost?

If your not in a rush, wait for used ones as they often seem to come up, tho they are picked up pretty quickly. I went with a 3rd gen one which I think is still really nice.

For 60”, seems like you can do 2 xr30 pros or 3 xr15 pros.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several questions regarding led fixtures that you need to answer, then you can get some real help.

The first point about led fixtures is: beware of fixtures that use less than 3 watt leds. There are a few brands out there that use 0.5 watt leds and they are OK for 12” deep tanks and maybe even 18” deep tanks with easy, low light corals.

Questions:

1) Do you want 1 or 2 long fixtures (up to 48”) or are more short fixtures (16") or multiple pendant fixtures OK with you?

2) Do you want hanging fixtures or do you want fixtures with legs? And do you have a canopy over the tank?

3) Do you have a budget in mind?

4) There are basic Chinese black box led fixtures (2 channel color control and manual dimmers) which need timers from the hardware store ($10 each) to turn them on/off. Chinese black boxes work very well, grow coral very well and come in several sizes. MarsAqua, GalaxyHydro, Euphotica, and more. ($100ea. to $200ea.)

5) There are a few that have built-in timers to turn the 2 different channels (white & blue) on and off. They also offer digital dimmer ability (not sunrise/sunset control, just like dimmer knobs only digital) OceanRevive T247B, Reef Breeders SuperLux, Viparspecta. ($140ea. to $200ea.)

6) Do you want sunrise/midday/sunset/moonlight control? These come in several sizes. At this level you can still get a less expensive black box or spend a bit more and get a better looking fixture (just remember, good looks don’t help coral grow). Euphotica. ($250 to $400)

7) Do you want more than 2 channel color control (like 6 or 8 channels)? These have sunrise/sunset ability as well. Reef Breeders, Aqua Illumination, Maxspect, Eco Tech. ($300 to $900+)

8) Is a remote control good enough to set the lights or do you want WiFi or a computer to help set the lights?

9) Do you want an led/t5 fluorescent hybrid fixture? They work very well for growing coral but there are very few currently being made and they are crazy expensive. Pacific Sun is the only one I know.

If you are just getting started, I'd go basic Chinese black box and keep it simple. Especially if you are using a canopy so what the fixture looks like is far less important than if it is exposed over the top of a pretty reef tank for everybody to see. They can grow any kind of coral in your tank, even at 30" deep. Once you know better what you are going to keep and you figure out what features you really want, then buy what you want and sell the used ones (or hang on to them as backups).

BTW, none of the features discussed above grow coral any better than the inexpensive Chinese black boxes with 3 watt leds (98% true IMHO). They give you the ability to make the tank look better for your pleasure, but do very, VERY little if anything for the coral.

I like the control of sunrise/midday/sunset/moonlight because I'm home a lot and I like to watch the tank change as the day progresses. And I like having 6 channels of color control so I can fine tune the look in my tank. A simple remote is all I need to set my lights, I don't care about WiFi or computer help setting them. I also have a fairly good budget so I could afford $900 for 2 fixtures ($600 for the big one and $300 for the small one... when they were on sale). BTW, I had a 50" Reef Breeders Photon V2 over my 60" tank and it grew sps sticks and plates like crazy.

Did I need these to grow healthy coral? Heck no. I used Chinese black boxes over my previous tanks that cost way less and they grew coral just as good as my new, more expensive ones. And mine are FAR from the most expensive. I’d need at least 2 and more likely 3 Eco Tech Radions at $900 each (that's right... $2700 total) and they won't grow coral any better either!

And there is no best fixture. People who tell you theirs is the best are really telling you theirs is the best for them. But it could be way off the mark for you.

You need to buy what is best for you. Oh, and like you, I really like the look of the Photon V2!

all on full system shot by Ron Lindensmith, on Flickr

Hypen2000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several questions regarding led fixtures that you need to answer, then you can get some real help.

The first point about led fixtures is: beware of fixtures that use less than 3 watt leds. There are a few brands out there that use 0.5 watt leds and they are OK for 12” deep tanks and maybe even 18” deep tanks with easy, low light corals.

Questions:

1) Do you want 1 or 2 long fixtures (up to 48”) or are more short fixtures (16") or multiple pendant fixtures OK with you?

2) Do you want hanging fixtures or do you want fixtures with legs? And do you have a canopy over the tank?

3) Do you have a budget in mind?

4) There are basic Chinese black box led fixtures (2 channel color control and manual dimmers) which need timers from the hardware store ($10 each) to turn them on/off. Chinese black boxes work very well, grow coral very well and come in several sizes. MarsAqua, GalaxyHydro, Euphotica, and more. ($100ea. to $200ea.)

5) There are a few that have built-in timers to turn the 2 different channels (white & blue) on and off. They also offer digital dimmer ability (not sunrise/sunset control, just like dimmer knobs only digital) OceanRevive T247B, Reef Breeders SuperLux, Viparspecta. ($140ea. to $200ea.)

6) Do you want sunrise/midday/sunset/moonlight control? These come in several sizes. At this level you can still get a less expensive black box or spend a bit more and get a better looking fixture (just remember, good looks don’t help coral grow). Euphotica. ($250 to $400)

7) Do you want more than 2 channel color control (like 6 or 8 channels)? These have sunrise/sunset ability as well. Reef Breeders, Aqua Illumination, Maxspect, Eco Tech. ($300 to $900+)

8) Is a remote control good enough to set the lights or do you want WiFi or a computer to help set the lights?

9) Do you want an led/t5 fluorescent hybrid fixture? They work very well for growing coral but there are very few currently being made and they are crazy expensive. Pacific Sun is the only one I know.

If you are just getting started, I'd go basic Chinese black box and keep it simple. Especially if you are using a canopy so what the fixture looks like is far less important than if it is exposed over the top of a pretty reef tank for everybody to see. They can grow any kind of coral in your tank, even at 30" deep. Once you know better what you are going to keep and you figure out what features you really want, then buy what you want and sell the used ones (or hang on to them as backups).

BTW, none of the features discussed above grow coral any better than the inexpensive Chinese black boxes with 3 watt leds (98% true IMHO). They give you the ability to make the tank look better for your pleasure, but do very, VERY little if anything for the coral.

I like the control of sunrise/midday/sunset/moonlight because I'm home a lot and I like to watch the tank change as the day progresses. And I like having 6 channels of color control so I can fine tune the look in my tank. A simple remote is all I need to set my lights, I don't care about WiFi or computer help setting them. I also have a fairly good budget so I could afford $900 for 2 fixtures ($600 for the big one and $300 for the small one... when they were on sale). BTW, I had a 50" Reef Breeders Photon V2 over my 60" tank and it grew sps sticks and plates like crazy.

Did I need these to grow healthy coral? Heck no. I used Chinese black boxes over my previous tanks that cost way less and they grew coral just as good as my new, more expensive ones. And mine are FAR from the most expensive. I’d need at least 2 and more likely 3 Eco Tech Radions at $900 each (that's right... $2700 total) and they won't grow coral any better either!

And there is no best fixture. People who tell you theirs is the best are really telling you theirs is the best for them. But it could be way off the mark for you.

You need to buy what is best for you. Oh, and like you, I really like the look of the Photon V2!

all on full system shot by Ron Lindensmith, on Flickr
This has got to be one of the most helpful messages on lights I’ve seen. Thx!
6C0F5662-3563-4FB1-BDCD-EB5692DCFA29.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I recommend always Kessil, radion, Reef Radiance and AI prime or Hydra.
Although there may be a budget on hand, remember that you get what you pay for and the purpose you are seeking (LPS, SPS, Mixed). When you shop for lighting, buy the best you can afford and in turn " Buy it once ! ".

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had both sbreef lights and reefbreeder photon v2 and I prefer the reef breeders. The customer service isn't even comparable between the two... Logan at reefbreeders is the man. I also like the white diodes on the photon much more... I feel like they give a better spectrum VS the 14000k diodes just the sbreef lights .

Seminoles76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can spin all the Led options out there a million ways to Sunday. When you get tired of looking at all those options, refer to post #18.
I personally would go with AI on a mixed 60.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back