Looking for a little guidance

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
@vetteguy53081 hey bud.. wanted to update and hopefully get some advice from you... the day we talked I did another ruby rally dip on my fish and put them into a new tank..the next morning I dosed prazipro to the water. I have sponge filter and powerhead pointed to the surface...the lympho went away on the angelfish and everything seemed fine.. yesterday morning I found my angelfish stuck to the powerhead passed away :( .. I'm thinking your advice of metro and angelfish is what might have done it but can't say for sure. All three other fish including flame angel are still alive but after since yesterday the flame angel is showing a bit of torn fin and minor flashing... never flashed before. And now my clown has a white patch on his tail fin. Not hanging off the edge like the lympho was. Any idea what could be going on? Maybe prazi resistant flukes? I'm lost at this point.
The clown appears to have Lymphocystis which is viral and non-contagious. The dead fish in pic had a bacterial infection- Both associated with water quality. The Flame has fin damage from aggression and Im convinced due to the clown fish which if you observe seems to be guarding the left side of tank and keeping flame at other side of tank.
I would test ammonia and nitrate and if youre using Api kits, have an LFS that does NOT use Api kits test for you and for comparison
Did not see flashing but with flukes, would be heavy breathing, inflamed gills and loss of appetite- also clamped fins

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thank you so much @vetteguy. Exactly what I needed !!! :)
Just to be clear about Lymphocystis: This virus usually expresses itself when the fish is stressed. Look for and remove as many stressors (e.g., water quality, Fish Nutrition, tankmate stress, space) as you can. Fishes with Lymphocystis can be moved to your DT (assuming there is no other health issues).

Good luck!

OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clown appears to have Lymphocystis which is viral and non-contagious. The dead fish in pic had a bacterial infection- Both associated with water quality. The Flame has fin damage from aggression and Im convinced due to the clown fish which if you observe seems to be guarding the left side of tank and keeping flame at other side of tank.
I would test ammonia and nitrate and if youre using Api kits, have an LFS that does NOT use Api kits test for you and for comparison
Did not see flashing but with flukes, would be heavy breathing, inflamed gills and loss of appetite- also clamped fins
The dead fish came from my DT that's when I discovered uronema..it killed 7 other fish as well. And it's actually the opposite. I've noticed the flame is aggressive towards the clown keeping him on that side of the tank. The water is 2 days old so I didn't see it to be a water quality issue.. I cured the clown of brook when I got him. Or at least I think I did.. what are the chances bothe the clown and the lemon peel both happen to have lympho or did one catch it from the other?

OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear about Lymphocystis: This virus usually expresses itself when the fish is stressed. Look for and remove as many stressors (e.g., water quality, Fish Nutrition, tankmate stress, space) as you can. Fishes with Lymphocystis can be moved to your DT (assuming there is no other health issues).

Good luck!
I did notice my midas blenny he's emotional and like to jump and nip st
Also the flame angel just happened to be on that side of the video because he swims all over the tank. The clown doesn't move much from that corner.. my midas blenny can be a nipper on occasion but that's when someone gets in his face too much

OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good luck!
Yes I could say the clown is stressed from the angel I'm hoping all is cleared because I got the clownfish and the lemon peel from 2 different sources and the chances of both of them having lympho is crazy :( thank you for the advice <3

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I did notice my midas blenny he's emotional and like to jump and nip st

Also the flame angel just happened to be on that side of the video because he swims all over the tank. The clown doesn't move much from that corner.. my midas blenny can be a nipper on occasion but that's when someone gets in his face too much
Midas are territorial in nature and I can see that. The chances of both having lympho can happen and would be visible. I again would focus on water quality. Again confirm water quality with a second test with sample to LFS as forementioned.

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dead fish came from my DT that's when I discovered uronema..it killed 7 other fish as well. And it's actually the opposite. I've noticed the flame is aggressive towards the clown keeping him on that side of the tank. The water is 2 days old so I didn't see it to be a water quality issue.. I cured the clown of brook when I got him. Or at least I think I did.. what are the chances bothe the clown and the lemon peel both happen to have lympho or did one catch it from the other?
Lymphocystis is caused by infection with an iridovirus known as Lymphocystivirus or Lymphocystis disease virus (LCDV), which is a member of the family Iridoviridae. Many marine fishes have this virus, but it doesn't express (show iteself) until the fish is stressed. So Lymph isn't something that fishes catch from other fishes. Don't worry about this.

It's like the human common cold. The virus is around, but we don't get a cold until we are stressed (not enough water, bad nutrition, over-exertion, etc.).

OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good luck!
Yes I could say the clown is stressed from the angel I'm hoping all is cleared because I got the clownfish and the lemon peel from 2 different sources and the chances of both of them having lympho is crazy :( thank you for the advice
Midas are territorial in nature and I can see that. The chances of both having lympho can happen and would be visible. I again would focus on water quality. Again confirm water quality with a second test with sample to LFS as forementioned.
Got it thanks so much!!

OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lymphocystis is caused by infection with an iridovirus known as Lymphocystivirus or Lymphocystis disease virus (LCDV), which is a member of the family Iridoviridae. Many marine fishes have this virus, but it doesn't express (show iteself) until the fish is stressed. So Lymph isn't something that fishes catch from other fishes. Don't worry about this.

It's like the human common cold. The virus is around, but we don't get a cold until we are stressed (not enough water, bad nutrition, over-exertion, etc.).
That makes alot more sense. Thank you for the reassurance!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back