Looking for a Mentor

Absolutekind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been in and out the hobby for over a decade and am currently in a 125 build. My previous tanks were a biocube, 38 gallon, 90 gallon, and Reefer 450. Got out of the hobby in 2018 due to divorce. Now I’m in a build and looking for advice on a successful SPS dominant tank. I’ve been able to keep SPS alive but never thriving or good growth.

If you’re a reputable member, currently have a thriving SPS dominant setup, and are willing to mentor, I’d love to here from you.

thanks!

Justin
39 years old, Lancaster, PA

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a mix of different coral types but would be happy to help if you ever need some question on equipment, water, fish, etc., and what not. Someone who runs a 100% sps tank will better be able to give you details of individual species, but feel free to shoot me a question if you feel like it. I worked at an LFS before too. I usually hop on here once a day. I can send a pic of my current tank when the lights turn on.

Last edited:

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was DQ'd at reputable.
Uh Oh Oops GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ve been in and out the hobby for over a decade and am currently in a 125 build. My previous tanks were a biocube, 38 gallon, 90 gallon, and Reefer 450. Got out of the hobby in 2018 due to divorce. Now I’m in a build and looking for advice on a successful SPS dominant tank. I’ve been able to keep SPS alive but never thriving or good growth.

If you’re a reputable member, currently have a thriving SPS dominant setup, and are willing to mentor, I’d love to here from you.

thanks!

Justin
There is a diverse group of knowledgeable reefers on here and simply ask and you'll get great responses. We have an SPS forum here also.

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

thanks!

Justin
I e been trying to find someone locally with no luck, I have a tons of questions but I just keep reading everything I can for now.
You aren't too far from me tho, im near Allentown pa

OP
OP
Absolutekind

Absolutekind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I e been trying to find someone locally with no luck, I have a tons of questions but I just keep reading everything I can for now.
You aren't too far from me tho, im near Allentown pa
Awesome! I feel good about the equipment and sump setup, it’s the thriving SPS I’m still looking to achieve. Happy to answer any questions you have about a build. I’ve tried a lot of different things like zeovit, reactors, skimmerless, etc. and have a pretty good idea how to keep nitrates and phosphates low and alk, call, and mag up.

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I feel good about the equipment and sump setup, it’s the thriving SPS I’m still looking to achieve. Happy to answer any questions you have about a build. I’ve tried a lot of different things like zeovit, reactors, skimmerless, etc. and have a pretty good idea how to keep nitrates and phosphates low and alk, call, and mag up.
Ok good, I definitely need the help.
It's getting frustrating because if I do alot it's a problem but if I don't do anything It's a problem too lol

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep things simple. If you are running a med size system (100g to 300g), don't get suckered into all those equipments. Light, flow, big import and big export. That's it.

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep things simple. If you are running a med size system (100g to 300g), don't get suckered into all those equipments. Light, flow, big import and big export. That's it.
What do you mean by big import?

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I assume it's heavy nutrition in, heavy nutrients out.

@Absolutekind if you are still in need of assistance, please let me know. I may not be the quickest at responding, but am always willing to assist.

-Sonny

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
feed heavy but also export heavy. Often times, people run crazy amount of fancy equipments like mat roller + oversized skimmer + reactor for carbon / gfo + fuge + carbon dosing which strips out all nutrients from the water and they don't replenish that fast enough by feeding heavy and often.

those equipments are great if you need it but I see so many new tanks with fancy equipments before they are even needed. I am talking about those new tanks where people show off their sump, and you see all kinds of stuff but you look at their display tank and they have like 3 corals and 2 fish. :sigh:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back