Looking for Acrylic aquarium builders in Texas.

Wisehart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for a company that can build a custom size acrylic aquarium for me. 84" length, 24" wide, and 30" tall. I can find 6 foot and 8 foot all day but a 7 foot is impossible. It is rectangle so it is not a crazy custom.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if @melev builds tanks...I know he builds great sumps. If not, then maybe @Diesel or @d2mini (squad members in Texas) know someone.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why acrylic?

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why acrylic?

Why not? While it may scratch easier it it about 6 plus times stronger than glass on impact and the seam strength is much higher than a silicone seal.

Most public aquariums are made out of acrylic for a reason.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me was told that it acrylic is lighter in weight in order to use large panels in public aquariums.
The size you looking at you be better off using glass.

OP
OP
Wisehart

Wisehart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 7 foot glass aquarium and I've had to move it twice. I plan to buy a house with more land in the near future and 800 lbs worth of glass is a huge pain.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 7 foot glass aquarium and I've had to move it twice. I plan to buy a house with more land in the near future and 800 lbs worth of glass is a huge pain.

That would make sense, if you move a lot.

OP
OP
Wisehart

Wisehart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't plan to move a lot but life happens. I bought a house and now the wife is pregnant so we want a larger house and I want more land so I can raise cattle and horse. I really like glass and it is all I've ever owned. My brother is having back surgery and it is hard to get 3 other men out in the country that are strong enough to move 800lbs

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't plan to move a lot but life happens. I bought a house and now the wife is pregnant so we want a larger house and I want more land so I can raise cattle and horse. I really like glass and it is all I've ever owned. My brother is having back surgery and it is hard to get 3 other men out in the country that are strong enough to move 800lbs

8 men or four men with suction cups - that's what you'll want. :)

OP
OP
Wisehart

Wisehart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done 4 men twice with no suction cups and it is a pain. I will never do it that way again. That is for sure.

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done 4 men twice with no suction cups and it is a pain. I will never do it that way again. That is for sure.

I've had to move 210g - 400g tanks several times since 2010. It's been no fun, and I have to keep finding 10 "new" friends each time. Suction cups are mandatory. I've borrowed them from two LFS each time. Finally bought two of my own, but I need quite a few more to be truly prepared for the next one. As long as this tank holds water, I'm happy.

400g-fts-0510.jpg

OP
OP
Wisehart

Wisehart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank melev. I feel your pain. I feel the friends I con into helping me are tired of this whole moving Wesley's aquarium ha ha. I do offer beer and food.

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank melev. I feel your pain. I feel the friends I con into helping me are tired of this whole moving Wesley's aquarium ha ha. I do offer beer and food.
Toll house cookies are my method. And/or drinks and pizza. But everyone loves my cookies. :)

OP
OP
Wisehart

Wisehart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang it. I haven't tried cookies. Maybe I could persuade the wife into baking a batch while we move it lol

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back