Looking for advice on flow and 2nd return pump.

BCI Can Do Better

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently in the middle of upgrading from a Biocube 16 to a Red Sea Reefer 170 and many companies have been donating products to help with this project. The details about my very unique story can be read in my build thread so please check it out and if you think it's cool please follow it. I wanted to make these questions a separate thread though so more people can see it.

My current dilemma is all about flow. Powerhead and return nozzle placement as well as UV sterilizer return pump options.

I was initially planning on using my Icecap gyre 1k and 2k with Wi-Fi controller, one on each side at the top. When I bought the tank used it also came with an MP10 that I thought I could use at the bottom, on the side or back, intermittently in the mode to kick debris up off of the sand bed. I also wanted to get an RFG from @Vivid Creative Aquatics for my return nozzle.

Now there are two factors that have me thinking harder than I would like to, and I'm just not sure what my best/easiest options are. First, Triton donated supplements and I would like to follow their suggested 10x turnover in the sump. Second, Aqua UV donated a 15w Classic sterilizer that I would like to run at the listed minimum rate of 233GPH.

I thought figuring out the plumbing to get two return pumps to come out the same return nozzle might be too complex for one of my caregivers to do (unless it's as simple as getting a Y fitting and some hose clamps). So I was looking into HOB return lines and return pumps. I was looking at this chart for the Sicce Silent pumps and realized that after 4ft head pressure it looks like it would require the 2.0 to be able to output at least 233GPH into the DT. The 2.0 is rated 568GPH and at 4ft it looks like it is pushing somewhere below 396GPH, which leads me to assume that the used Danner 500GPH pump that came with the tank is pushing even less than that (not the 10x I originally thought). I knew that head pressure would decrease the flow rate but had never looked at how much before.

So, that's my situation and I would love some feedback on it. Does my initial flow plan seem like overkill? I plan to have mostly LPS and zoas, with maybe a couple SPS. I already know that I'm not really going to like the look of a HOB return, but also have concerns about both returns constantly blowing across the flow I'm trying to generate with the gyres. Does two pumps running to the single return with a nozzle like this from VCA seem like a good idea? Is there another return pump, or pair of pumps, that would closer meet my needs?

Thanks

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know what your sump layout looks like, but you might be able to run the UV between the last chamber and first chamber. Also, I use the triton method, and I don't think the 10x turnover is an absolute requirement. My system is doing fine with about 5X, but that flow from the UV back through the sump will help in the X factor. I do think it is key to have a good fuge light for the chaeto to outcompete the display for nutrients.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm understanding correctly, about the two return pumps, I think the better option might be to simply run a singe larger return pump. if you need to drive addition items form that pump (like your UV) then a simple manifold could do the trick.

Then if the space permits, go with a pump such as Vectra M2, or equivalent.

The Ultimate Return Line Upgrade Kit you linked to would then a a good choice given the amount of flow you could supply it.

With the RFG nozzles, you want to try and supply them with the Optimal Suggest Flow (SOF) rating for that RFG or kit, or more to get the best results. if your pump can't deliver the SOF rating then downsize or reduce the number of RFGs.

Hope that makes sense.

Back