Looking for advice on tank upgrade.

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently am running a standard 75g aqueon mixed reef. For the most part i am happy with it however the quality is, well, a petco tank quality and i dont care for how narrow it is. Additionally, it is tempered glass and not drilled so has a hob overflow box from lifereef which i have been very happy with functionally however aesthetically id like something a bit more hidden. Ive been looking for a tank in the 90-120 gallon range and the closest I have found to my price point is this tank from sc aquariums http://www.scaquariums.com/SCA-90-Gallon-Cube-Starfire-Tank-p/sca-90gc.htm
The tank is 36x24x24
Is the quality on these “decent”? I really cant afford much more than 1000. I would be fine buying used however living in montana there are not a surplus of tanks that fit what i am looking for.
Has anyone purchased a custom tank from them? I noticed that theyve got an option for it on their page and honestly my ideal dimensions would be 30x36x20 in a sort of peninsula style.
Any input will be greatly appreciated! And if you can think of a tank that may be better and in a similar price range id love to hear about it!

JaaxReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you add the stand to the tank you posted, as well as other gear you need, it costs about as much as this tank, which I would trust much more from a quality perspective: https://www.innovative-marine.com/shop/EXT-112-Gallon-Complete-Reef-System-–-White-Made-to-Order-p533160796

Aluminum stand, sump, plumbing, and DC return pump included. Plus. It is Eurobraced and has an external overflow. Sometimes it’s worth being patient and saving for a while to get something of better quality.

OP
OP
bigbugoutfitters

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figure i should have mentioned that i have all the wood i would need for a stand and an excellent carpenter owes me a favor ;) I already have a sump in the garage and an extra dc pump that i got as a trade for some work done. With a difference of 1500 dollars it is unfortunately just out of my price range.
Dont get me wrong though, i have definitely looked at that same tank a few times and if my wife woulnt smother me in my sleep seeing that on our bank statement id definitely bite the bullet.
I've never had a rimless tank and after doing quite a bit of skimming through this site regarding them it wouldnt be my first choice. I suppose another question i have: can you eurobrace a rimless tank yourself? Or add any support to said tank to make it more secure?

JaaxReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figure i should have mentioned that i have all the wood i would need for a stand and an excellent carpenter owes me a favor ;) I already have a sump in the garage and an extra dc pump that i got as a trade for some work done. With a difference of 1500 dollars it is unfortunately just out of my price range.
Dont get me wrong though, i have definitely looked at that same tank a few times and if my wife woulnt smother me in my sleep seeing that on our bank statement id definitely bite the bullet.
I've never had a rimless tank and after doing quite a bit of skimming through this site regarding them it wouldnt be my first choice. I suppose another question i have: can you eurobrace a rimless tank yourself? Or add any support to said tank to make it more secure?
I completely understand. I think the most critical part of having a rimless tank is making sure the stand is overbuilt (If possible), flawless, and level and you have some sort of dense pad/foam to absorb any imperfections. A lot of rimless tanks have seams fail or crack due to imperfections in the stand and how it was built or how it ages over time. You can certainly eurobrace a tank yourself if you want. I’m sure someone else on here could answer best practices for DIY. I have zero experience with that sort of thing.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cant go wrong with a seapora 90g reef ready tank. Aqueon also makes 90g reef ready aquariums that are the same footprint as a standard 75. Both are nice tanks.

Both of which are well under 1k.

Snowxcross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had for a while now Innovative Marine tanks, they're great quality in my experience. This past year i added a new tank and went with Planet Aquarium Rimless. These tanks are gorgeous and i'm in awe all the time, highly recommend.

OP
OP
bigbugoutfitters

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps you could just purchase the tank.
Innovative Marine tanks are nice.
I havnt seen an option for just the tank but maybe im not looking at the right place?
I've had for a while now Innovative Marine tanks, they're great quality in my experience. This past year i added a new tank and went with Planet Aquarium Rimless. These tanks are gorgeous and i'm in awe all the time, highly recommend.
Those planet aquarium tanks look solid.
The 90 gallon peninsula looks like it is up my alley, but definitely pushing the top of my price range especially with freight costs.

Snowxcross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havnt seen an option for just the tank but maybe im not looking at the right place?

Those planet aquarium tanks look solid.
The 90 gallon peninsula looks like it is up my alley, but definitely pushing the top of my price range especially with freight costs.
I am fortunate enough that my LFS only sells Planets.

Dedicated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently am running a standard 75g aqueon mixed reef. For the most part i am happy with it however the quality is, well, a petco tank quality and i dont care for how narrow it is. Additionally, it is tempered glass and not drilled so has a hob overflow box from lifereef which i have been very happy with functionally however aesthetically id like something a bit more hidden. Ive been looking for a tank in the 90-120 gallon range and the closest I have found to my price point is this tank from sc aquariums http://www.scaquariums.com/SCA-90-Gallon-Cube-Starfire-Tank-p/sca-90gc.htm
The tank is 36x24x24
Is the quality on these “decent”? I really cant afford much more than 1000. I would be fine buying used however living in montana there are not a surplus of tanks that fit what i am looking for.
Has anyone purchased a custom tank from them? I noticed that theyve got an option for it on their page and honestly my ideal dimensions would be 30x36x20 in a sort of peninsula style.
Any input will be greatly appreciated! And if you can think of a tank that may be better and in a similar price range id love to hear about it!
You can drill it. I drilled my 75 and my 40 breeder from petco. Absolutely no issues

OP
OP
bigbugoutfitters

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can drill it. I drilled my 75 and my 40 breeder from petco. Absolutely no issues
Doing a bit of research on it you can drill some of the 75s however recently they are using tempered glass on a lot of tanks, but not all of them. This is just something from the last year or so from what ive heard.

Mav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like the 90 peninsula wait until you’re comfortable making the purchase. You don’t want buyers remorse on your upgrade :). If the width is an issue a maybe a lagoon style tank?

Back