Looking for Amphipods

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for some amphipods. My amphipod seems to have been wiped out by something. I have a bunch of copepods. If you can spare just half a dozen amphipods, let me know.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for some amphipods. My amphipod seems to have been wiped out by something. I have a bunch of copepods. If you can spare just half a dozen amphipods, let me know.
If we can arrange a time to meet I can give you plenty. I end up tossing a bunch every few days when I change filter socks.

OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad to come over to your place at your convenience. I recall that you are going to Bahamas soon. We can do this after you come back.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad to come over to your place at your convenience. I recall that you are going to Bahamas soon. We can do this after you come back.
Sorry about the delay, I really haven't forgotten about this. I got swamped the week we got back and then had to turn around and spend a week in Arkansas for work. Got sick while there but couldn't make it to the doc until this past Friday.

Did you manage to find some? If you still need some can I just give you a big chunk of chaeto that should hold plenty?

On a side note.. while in Blythsville I saw a hotspot called "Tomoko's cell phone".

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have tons of amphipods in my filter socks, but then i got a leopard wrasse... now maybe a couple at best in the filter socks!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have tons of amphipods in my filter socks, but then i got a leopard wrasse... now maybe a couple at best in the filter socks!
I get plenty in mine but its easier to just grab some chaeto instead of trying to collect them out of the socks.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get plenty in mine but its easier to just grab some chaeto instead of trying to collect them out of the socks.

I just couldn't allow myself to let the little critters go down the drain... it used to take me 10-20 min to rescue them all from the socks... lol. I don't have a chaeto refugium right now...2 failed attempts at growing it in my system. Im about to give it another try, though.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just couldn't allow myself to let the little critters go down the drain... it used to take me 10-20 min to rescue them all from the socks... lol. I don't have a chaeto refugium right now...2 failed attempts at growing it in my system. Im about to give it another try, though.
It used to bother me, but after washing out a few thousand by now I don't even think about it.

OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not gotten any yet. I would love to have some.

I am sorry to hear that you had a rough time with work and illness. I have been very busy with work as well, and I am also taking a few classes at UAH. I've been running around on weekends, too, to catch up on chores. To be honest, I have not even thought about pods. The front glass of my 180 was so thickly coated with coralline that I could not tell what's going on behind the pink fog until I cleared it this morning finally. All is well, though.

I would appreciate it very much if you could give me a small bunch of chaetomorpha with amphipods. My fish will thank you, too :) .

By the way, Tomoko is a very common Japanese girl's name.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not gotten any yet. I would love to have some.

I am sorry to hear that you had a rough time with work and illness. I have been very busy with work as well, and I am also taking a few classes at UAH. I've been running around on weekends, too, to catch up on chores. To be honest, I have not even thought about pods. The front glass of my 180 was so thickly coated with coralline that I could not tell what's going on behind the pink fog until I cleared it this morning finally. All is well, though.

I would appreciate it very much if you could give me a small bunch of chaetomorpha with amphipods. My fish will thank you, too :) .

By the way, Tomoko is a very common Japanese girl's name.
I really shouldn't complain. If an occasional bout with the crud is the biggest health issue I have I'm doing pretty good.

I did pull a pretty good size bunch out today because I needed to. I bagged it and added some tank water and left it in my sump area. Not sure if I can get it to you before things start dying but I can easily pull another good size bunch. It was just packed too tight for more to grow in.

Plenty of amphipods in it, but also quite a few bristle worms. I'm guessing you don't mind those....

OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I don't mind bristle worms.
I wonder how we can meet up. As you know, I work in Decatur. If the weather cooperates, you can leave the bag in a shady place on your porch so I can swing by during my lunch time to pick it up?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I don't mind bristle worms.
I wonder how we can meet up. As you know, I work in Decatur. If the weather cooperates, you can leave the bag in a shady place on your porch so I can swing by during my lunch time to pick it up?
That will be easy. I think I have a insulted box I can put it in. I'll put it on the front patio in the morning.

I forgot you worked in Decatur. :rolleyes:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure it's in a insulted box! :):p:D;Cat JK!
It was, but they didn't make it. I thought they would be fine in a tank temperature bag for a day. I guess not. :( ;Facepalm

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since y'all are talking about amphipods... What would cause my entire population to disappear? At one time I could see them crawling around in every nook and cranny in my tank. Now I can't find a single one. Do bristle worms eat pods?? I have a ton of bristle worms in my rocks.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really, all in fun. I just didn't want that to get by! ;Happy
Absolutely! I just can't believe it took me so long to notice my typo!

OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, you guys!

As for DirtMcgurt's question, I'd like to know the answer to that, too. My amphipods disappeared suddenly, too. That never happened to me before.

Back