Looking for clownfish basics

  • Thread starter Thread starter Weasel1960
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 22, 2020
Messages
2,139
Reaction score
9,726
Location
Monticello, WI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to hobby and will eventually have a pair of clownfish. I pretty much understand the hybrid/designer clowns but wondering what is the differences in the “lesser” clowns? Some are true, false, mis bar, etc. is there a thread about this, searched but didn’t find one.
 
If you look through ORA's categories, you should get a picture of what the different descriptions mean. I do not know of a link with all descriptions clearly spelled out.

I can answer the ones you mentioned directly:
True versus false refers to true Percula clowns (Amphiprion percula) as opposed to false Percula clowns (Amphiprion ocellaris).
Mis bar means that the vertical bands of color (usually white) are not complete bands around the fish. Extreme mis-bar has very exaggerated disconnects in the bands or almost no bands of white.
 
If you look through ORA's categories, you should get a picture of what the different descriptions mean. I do not know of a link with all descriptions clearly spelled out.

I can answer the ones you mentioned directly:
True versus false refers to true Percula clowns (Amphiprion percula) as opposed to false Percula clowns (Amphiprion ocellaris).
Mis bar means that the vertical bands of color (usually white) are not complete bands around the fish. Extreme mis-bar has very exaggerated disconnects in the bands or almost no bands of white.
Thank you I will check out your link as well.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new