Looking for external water pump for waterchanges

  • Thread starter Thread starter RMS18
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Joined
Aug 21, 2015
Messages
2,996
Reaction score
2,156
Location
The Shore
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my dilemma is the countertop where I place my 5 gallon container of fresh saltwater is not high enough to use the old suck and gravity trick. So I'm looking for a small external pump that I can run one hose Into the new saltwater container and one into the tank for water changes... anyone been down this road before? I am NOT looking for a submersible pump as it will not fit in the 5 gallon container and I'm not getting a trash can.
 
The TOM Aqualifter will do this, but it's probably too slow. Something like the Cobalt Aquatics E-X-T 800 might work. I assume your 5 gallon container isn't a 5 gallon bucket? A maxijet will fit in a 5g bucket.
 
The TOM Aqualifter will do this, but it's probably too slow. Something like the Cobalt Aquatics E-X-T 800 might work. I assume your 5 gallon container isn't a 5 gallon bucket? A maxijet will fit in a 5g bucket.
It's this
034d26824af69444b1004f59b77bb1c5.jpg
 
Aquarium pumps will not suck water up, they are not self priming pumps.
You might find a micro powerhead that will fit inside your container with a piece of tubig stuck over the outlet to fill the tank.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 42 31.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new