looking for good economy rodi unit.

kaceyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is the best place to by and what is the best unit for the price? I can get the rodi units offered on BRS and Marine Depot cheaper on Amazon and ebay but are there benefits to buying from the reef stores named? I don't need a very advanced unit as my tap water is only around 40tds from the tap. I have two 10" housings on a mount I used for sediment and carbon to treat water for my discus tanks for years and thought I might incorporate them into it but maybe a single portable unit would be best.
Thanks

Kacey

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Kacey

I have always heard that the RO Buddie does a great job, if your looking for a small unit.

But, I would want a hand held tds meter to use with it.

Seems like Amazon sells the replacement cartridges too.

Freddie

OP
OP
K

kaceyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Kacey

I have always heard that the RO Buddie does a great job, if your looking for a small unit.

But, I would want a hand held tds meter to use with it.

Seems like Amazon sells the replacement cartridges too.

Freddie
I've heard the same good things about it but would rather have one with standard cartridges.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this RO Buddie for over a year and is good for my 40g breeder. Only buy the refill DI from BRS and you can refill about three times the DI cartridge. Around $60 on Amazon.

817ka2tm3xL__SX679_.jpg

This is the upgrades I made for this unit. A TDS meter, a shut off valve and a valve to get drinking water.

5970D482-E9BB-471E-A2C6-AF1B97A9E786.jpeg

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard the same good things about it but would rather have one with standard cartridges.

Welp,
One day sale on the 75 gallon per day at $194
4 stage with built in TDS meter.

brs-exb-210773-rodisystems-fr_1.jpg

phpwebdev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Excellent idea to stick with the industry standard size! Do you have chloramines in your source water?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at these BRS as well. I am looking more at the "Plus" version with built-in pressure gauge and two-sided TDS. Is that important or should I just get the non-plus version?

You want a pressure gauge and at least one tds meter, on the output.

Seagull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for the plus from BRS. You definitely want the TDS meters so you can monitor your membrane and DI resin. The pressure gauge is a nice add as well.

OP
OP
K

kaceyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at these BRS as well. I am looking more at the "Plus" version with built-in pressure gauge and two-sided TDS. Is that important or should I just get the non-plus version?

I'm wondering the same thing. Handheld TDS meters are cheap and soare pressure gauges so don't know if it's worth the extra $$$.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for the plus from BRS. You definitely want the TDS meters so you can monitor your membrane and DI resin. The pressure gauge is a nice add as well.

Dont trust inline TDS meter too much, as they can be wrong and show incorrect numbers. They are good for giving you idea on what is going on between stages, but dont take their readings as 100% correct. Use handheld TDS meter for correct readings.

OP, if you find BRS unit for cheaper on Amazon, just check who is it sold by and shipped by. If it is not at least shipped by Amazon, I would check seller ratings to make sure everything checks out. I am not sure how someone could sell brand new unit for cheaper than manufacturer does. In terms of which manufacturer to get, they are all pretty much the same really. It is more important to get good filters and media that go into the unit than to worry about who made the actual unit. I have AquaFX Barracuda and it is a great unit that I added TDS meter to, added BRS membrane flush valve and got 100gpd membrane when I had to change it out. It produces same water as BRS, Spectrapure and other more expensive units for just as long.

OP
OP
K

kaceyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine depot has the Spectrapure 90gpd for$179.99 and with my 10% coupon it is $162. Add a gauge and a flush kit and that might be the one.

OP
OP
K

kaceyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont trust inline TDS meter too much, as they can be wrong and show incorrect numbers. They are good for giving you idea on what is going on between stages, but dont take their readings as 100% correct. Use handheld TDS meter for correct readings.

OP, if you find BRS unit for cheaper on Amazon, just check who is it sold by and shipped by. If it is not at least shipped by Amazon, I would check seller ratings to make sure everything checks out. I am not sure how someone could sell brand new unit for cheaper than manufacturer does. In terms of which manufacturer to get, they are all pretty much the same really. It is more important to get good filters and media that go into the unit than to worry about who made the actual unit. I have AquaFX Barracuda and it is a great unit that I added TDS meter to, added BRS membrane flush valve and got 100gpd membrane when I had to change it out. It produces same water as BRS, Spectrapure and other more expensive units for just as long.
The Barracuda is a high rated unit too. One of my serious considerations.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased an RO Buddy from AZ for $58. Its $140 less than the BRS and with my 24g tank I think I will be ok with this one. This helps with my lighting budget. :)

Ha ha!!

... ;Woot ;Woot

If you can tie in a TDS meter, down the line, like @spyder813 ... ;Singing ;Singing ;Singing

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back