looking for help and guidance. willing to pay.

Mtlgallardo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title states.. I am in Montreal,Quebec, Canada
a city that doesn't have many resources when it comes to large tanks.
I am willing to pay someone to help me setup a tank from the ground up
design filtration lighting skimmer etc..

willing to pay for someones time not looking for a free ride.
would even consider flying someone down (might be easier if you on the east coast)to setup once tank and parts have arrived.

Pm if you are willing to help me build my dream tank!

Thank you everyone!

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up a large tank is not that hard. There are many ways to set up a tank and get good results? I would use this forum to gather ideas first. There are many people here that would be glad to help you myself included. You will also get conflicting opinions on how to do things.
You need to decide a few things first. What size tank are you thinking about? Where will it be located? Where will you house equipment? How much experience do you have in the hobby? Are you hands on or off? What do you want to keep? Any specific fish or corals? Do you want it to fit in with your decor?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of free help here, answer all the questions above and let's get started! Good resource for equipment and supplies, especially for yourself is reefsupplies.ca, based out of Quebec and they carry just about everything, I order from Ray all the time.

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was an epic build on the other large reef forum where a person who went by Mr Wilson, I think his real name was Shawn and I believe he was from Toronto, built the system. I believe he did this kind of work for a living. That may be enough info to find him.

OP
OP
Mtlgallardo

Mtlgallardo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys thanks for the replies!
I really need help right now with The building of the tank IE: where and what kind of overflow to use etc.
I have had some tanks in the past but none build from the ground up .

OP
OP
Mtlgallardo

Mtlgallardo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of free help here, answer all the questions above and let's get started! Good resource for equipment and supplies, especially for yourself is reefsupplies.ca, based out of Quebec and they carry just about everything, I order from Ray all the time.

the tank builder is actually from your area!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys thanks for the replies!
I really need help right now with The building of the tank IE: where and what kind of overflow to use etc.
I have had some tanks in the past but none build from the ground up .
@Brew12 will get you hooked up. Just curios what size tank and style are you building?

Swingline77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew NOTHING of saltwater tanks two and a half months ago. Now, I know a fair amount. Admittedly, I still know little about coral. I learned all that I know from this forum, reefcentral, youtube, and advanced aquarist. I'd say that the knowledge that I've acquired falls into two categories: those things that I just need to "know", and those things that help me form an understanding of tank dynamics.

As for the former "things that I just need to 'know'" category I'd include things such as what sorts of flow rates I need, what kind of salt mixture I want to use, etc. I probably spent several hours researching salt before settling on a type that seems to be a good choice (the regular Instant Ocean, for what it's worth). If someone with knowledge had worked with me one-on-one, I would have been all set, and could have moved on to something else. Edit: Plumbing concerns fall into this category also. I was able to teach myself enough plumbing to know how to set up a tank, and I'm glad that I have this knowledge. If this is not something that you will ever need to know of outside of setting up this one tank, then you could simply have someone plumb it for you.

As for the latter issues, this is where I'm glad I put in the reading. In this category, I'd include things such as understanding the interactions between calcium, magnesium, CO2, alkalinity, and pH. I'd say that it's impossible to maintain an aquarium without knowing this.

Hopefully someone will be able to help you one-on-one. There are lots of people with tremendous knowledge on this site. The people that run the Atlantis (Long Island) Aquarium are experts in large aquaria, but there are others as well (https://www.longislandaquarium.com/)

By the way, Montreal is an absolutely beautiful city filled with kind people. One of my favorite fish happens to be a Canada native, the Arctic Char:

356efc4c11696512766ce1dee208918f.jpg

LDH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

would even consider flying someone down (might be easier if you on the east coast)to setup once tank and parts have arrived.

Thank you everyone!

You have the best reef supplies store in Canada right there in Quebec! Surely Ray at Reefsupplies.ca could either help you or would know someone who would. I buy all my stuff from them. I am in the process of a large build myself but I am on the opposite side of the Country for any of my contacts to be good. I would check in with Ray.

Good luck and have fun! and make a build thread so we can follow :)

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have the best reef supplies store in Canada right there in Quebec! Surely Ray at Reefsupplies.ca could either help you or would know someone who would. I buy all my stuff from them. I am in the process of a large build myself but I am on the opposite side of the Country for any of my contacts to be good. I would check in with Ray.

Good luck and have fun! and make a build thread so we can follow :)

I know right! Ray is AWESOME! Can't beat his customer service as well as his selection

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JoshH
do you know concept?

Personally I don't know them that Well, they did drill my previous tank and did a great job with that. Talking with others who have bought tanks with them you need to be VERY specific with exactly what you want and be on them through the whole process. They do make beautiful tanks but they tend to make design decisions that lean toward the cheaper side of things of you don't specify.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi MtlGallardo. I am going through the same thing right now (setting up a large tank) not too far from you (Toronto). Yes by all means you should get in contact with Ray from Reefsupplies.ca . He has a storefront in one of the Montreal suburbs. If you have not ordered your tank yet, you should cross shop Miracles. They are located just outside Toronto and have tons of experience building building large custom tanks.

The person that the other member was mentioning is Shawn Wilson. He is located here in Toronto. He is best known as being one of people that helped setup Nineball's 1,350 gallon tank in Oakville about a decade ago. There is a long thread on RC about that tank and one here as well. I probably have his number and can get you in contact with him if needed. Just PM me.

For reference, my build thread with a Miracles tank is here https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-blue-window-500-g-in-wall-never-ending-build.465206/ .

Dennis

Last edited:

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered making a plywood tank? Just throwing it out there.

Swingline77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you everyone!

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by a "large" tank? Are you talking about something truly massive?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 87 46.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 45.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.0%
Back