Looking for help with a creative solution to sump flow

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently moved from kalk + Tropic Marin AFR to the BRS hybrid Balling method + kalk. So far I'm loving the addtional boost from the sodium carbonate, but my sump is not very turbulent. Meaning the sodium carbonate dose is precipitating into little "snow flakes" in my sump and not mixing fully.

My solution was to take a small TMC Reef-Pump 1000 and put it under dosing line. That way it would get sucked right into the pump and shoot out fully mixed. The only problem is the outlet of the pump points directly at a baffle in my sump. If I turn the pump power up barely at all the water hits the baffle wall and the sound of the water crashing over is too loud. My sump is packed and there's no option to move the dosing area to another wall of the sump.

TMC Pump Diagram.png

I think the problem is the outlet is making a straight cannon of water. If I could diffuse it somehow that would likely work, but I'm not sure the best way. I'm open to any creative solutions that would allow me to crank up the pump without all the water rushing over my baffle.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be worried about dosing into a pump but then again I never clean mine. Why not just cut the solution?

OP
OP
nim6us

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BanZI29 I'll try to get a shot and share

@The_Paradox If at all possible I don't want to increase the dosing volume as that means more frequest top ups of the dosing solution and I've just barely got enough room for my 5L containers

@JayM Simple, but effective! :D

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back