Looking for ID. what is this?

VibingOctopus

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 4, 2026
Messages
44
Reaction score
19
Location
Netherlands
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this today on my month old Indonesian live rock.

I never noticed it before and I tend to look at the tank closely pretty regularly. Must have popped up sometime this week.

IMG_1749.jpeg IMG_1746.jpeg
 
My first thought would be an anemone, but I honestly can't tell from the pics (sorry).

OP, any chance of closer pics?
Yes, I should have some time later this week to take this rock out and take some closeups! Thanks for helping out!
 
Update: sorry for the late reply, I have been ill.

Here’s an update to the images. It has grown, shows behaviour of tightening up and pulling in (polyps?) when touched, at night it becomes a tiny nubbin retracting all the way in, and during the day it relaxes out and takes this shape.



IMG_2111.jpeg

IMG_2109.jpeg

IMG_2191.jpeg
 
Oh, interesting. I’ve never had that coral in the tank, it must have hitchhiked in on the Indonesian live rock
 
Thanks so much!
I’ll post another update later when it has grown more just because it will be cool to compare when it gets bigger.

I’ll start reading up on how to care for Kenya tree (and similar) corals :)
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new