• Other (Explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

TvanB1

Mostly Fish; Few breeding projects underway
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tieda ~29 gallon acrylic tank into my display system with the intention of turning it into a fuge, however I couldn’t get chaeto to grow if my life depended on it. Its been sitting empty and i’ve been itching to do something with it.
Heres where you guys come in to vote - I’d be more than content with any of these, which is why I can’t pick.
- Ritteri x Clownfish
- Seahorses
- Pipefish
- Mantis Shrimp
- Goby x Pistol shrimp pair (Display Fuge)
- Keep trying Chaeto
- Other (Explain)

I’d love to do an octopus or cuttlefish but I wouldn’t want to risk my main display in case it inks.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is my "negative" post. It's more meant to be a "here's why this probably won't work" as opposed to a "I hate this and everything it stands for" post.

Seahorses: need a lot of extra care. It just comes with the whole "I'm a somewhat primitive fish with a really bad immune system" thing. Typical reccs for temperature are around 72-74 F, which most people think are too cold for their reefs. And they're also just...a lot, when it comes to basic care (feed them every day, keep their water clean, etc. but square that). My vote's a no on the seahorse.

Not trying to yuck anybody's yum, but I also feel that anemones and clownfish are just...overdone. Yes yes, fascinating nemos, they get into the hobby, but like...ok I get it, textbook symbiosis that still requires more research. Also aren't ritteri's (Heteractis magnifica) supposed to be the hard to keep anemone?

For the octopus (not necessarily the cuttlefish), I hear that the plumbing has to be super secure. I would hate for your newly acquired octo to get into the piping, and start devouring your fish. I also think I've read that octopus need to be kept at cooler temperatures (mostly because it's a lifespan kind of thing). Octos and cuttles tend to have a very short life span as well...and need live food....

Mantis Shrimp: I guess they'd make a good "pet" shrimp? But that's an awful lot of height for a mantis, which might mostly only stay in one spot, right? If it was a 20L, then I could maybe see it, but a 29 gallon seems too tall in my opinion.

Last edited:

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here's my slightly more "positive" post, where it's meant to be a "you should totally do this."

Octopodes/cuttlefish: So yes they ink, but keep in mind why they ink. Most of it is due to the whole "I am prey and this is a predator!" response. You won't get inked if you don't freak them out with predatory things (try to grab them or net them harshly). That being said, you could do some interesting stuff with a cuttle tank, just as long as you could keep them feeding/breeding.

Pipefish/Goby&Pistol Shrimp/keep Chaeto/Other: I lump all of this in together because I want to propose something. Have you ever thought of a planted saltwater tank. They're really awesome, and with a 29 gallon, you have the space for pipefish, AND a Goby & Pistol Shrimp AND you can get the nutrient uptake with macroalgae. I am very partial to the pairing of blue stripe pipefish with orange striped prawn gobies, as well as the usage of Caulerpa prolifera for a "meadow" effect.

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is my "negative" post. It's more meant to be a "here's why this probably won't work" as opposed to a "I hate this and everything it stands for" post.

Seahorses: need a lot of extra care. It just comes with the whole "I'm a somewhat primitive fish with a really bad immune system" thing. Typical reccs for temperature are around 72-74 F, which most people think are too cold for their reefs. And they're also just...a lot, when it comes to basic care (feed them every day, keep their water clean, etc. but square that). My vote's a no on the seahorse.

I hear you, but I feed my display 4-5x day. I have 4 active Tigriopus californicus cultures going, which I believe are a suitable size for the seahorses I would be looking at. Aside from the temperature, I think they would do well. I’m also running 80 watts of UV.

Not trying to yuck anybody's yum, but I also feel that anemones and clownfish are just...overdone. Yes yes, fascinating nemos, they get into the hobby, but like...ok I get it, textbook symbiosis that still requires more research. Also aren't ritteri's (Heteractis magnifica) supposed to be the hard to keep anemone?

Yes, Ritteris are among some of the ‘harder’ to keep nems. I can adjust flow/lighting to whatever it needs. I would be looking at a pair of wild latz, mccullochi, or percula.

For the octopus (not necessarily the cuttlefish), I hear that the plumbing has to be super secure. I would hate for your newly acquired octo to get into the piping, and start devouring your fish. I also think I've read that octopus need to be kept at cooler temperatures (mostly because it's a lifespan kind of thing). Octos and cuttles tend to have a very short life span as well...and need live food....

As I mentioned above, im not considering an octopus due to the tank restraints and risk.

Mantis Shrimp: I guess they'd make a good "pet" shrimp? But that's an awful lot of height for a mantis, which might mostly only stay in one spot, right? If it was a 20L, then I could maybe see it, but a 29 gallon seems too tall in my opinion.

I’ve kept a few of them in the past and they were definitely interesting to watch and feed. I would like to try something different this time around. [/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B]

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here's my slightly more "positive" post, where it's meant to be a "you should totally do this."

Octopodes/cuttlefish: So yes they ink, but keep in mind why they ink. Most of it is due to the whole "I am prey and this is a predator!" response. You won't get inked if you don't freak them out with predatory things (try to grab them or net them harshly). That being said, you could do some interesting stuff with a cuttle tank, just as long as you could keep them feeding/breeding.

I am know a lot more on keeping Octopodes than cuttlefish. If it turns out to be realistic to keep them in a tank attached to my main display (SPS dominant) then I may consider it, but im not up to date on their needs/care at this time.

Pipefish/Goby&Pistol Shrimp/keep Chaeto/Other: I lump all of this in together because I want to propose something. Have you ever thought of a planted saltwater tank. They're really awesome, and with a 29 gallon, you have the space for pipefish, AND a Goby & Pistol Shrimp AND you can get the nutrient uptake with macroalgae. I am very partial to the pairing of blue stripe pipefish with orange striped prawn gobies, as well as the usage of Caulerpa prolifera for a "meadow" effect.
Yeah! I’ve done this before and loved it. I think I spent more time looking at that tank than my main display with far more corals and fish. This seems to be my top choice at this time.

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, important to note - this is not a standard 29 gal. It is shorter height wise and longer than the aqueon ones

Daniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anglerfish is a great idea!

Also, for some reason pods are amazingly addictive to observe in a weird reef nerd kind of way... I've always liked the interesting twists of "fuge displays" so my vote is for the macroalgae display with a goby/pistol pairing!

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anglerfish is a great idea!

Also, for some reason pods are amazingly addictive to observe in a weird reef nerd kind of way... I've always liked the interesting twists of "fuge displays" so my vote is for the macroalgae display with a goby/pistol pairing!

I think i’ll do this. I have a spawning pair of A. randalli with a tiger pistol shrimp my display that I could move over. Funny enough it’s also the cheapest of all the options! I have a kessil H80 and some rocks that would need an acid dip before using. I can keep the H80 on the blue setting.

fishkeepinginasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a pipefish tank w
I tieda ~29 gallon acrylic tank into my display system with the intention of turning it into a fuge, however I couldn’t get chaeto to grow if my life depended on it. Its been sitting empty and i’ve been itching to do something with it.
Heres where you guys come in to vote - I’d be more than content with any of these, which is why I can’t pick.
- Ritteri x Clownfish
- Seahorses
- Pipefish
- Mantis Shrimp
- Goby x Pistol shrimp pair (Display Fuge)
- Keep trying Chaeto
- Other (Explain)

I’d love to do an octopus or cuttlefish but I wouldn’t want to risk my main display in case it inks.

That goby pistol shrimp mix would be really interesting. I don't see people keeping them very often and they're one of the most interesting symbiotic relations you can foster in home aquaria. Honestly I'm not a big fan of mantis shrimp. They're cool in theory, but honestly not that interesting to me. I think the pipefish or goby+pistol shrimp would be really unique. Whatever you do, I want to see the photos!

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i’ll do this. I have a spawning pair of A. randalli with a tiger pistol shrimp my display that I could move over. Funny enough it’s also the cheapest of all the options! I have a kessil H80 and some rocks that would need an acid dip before using. I can keep the H80 on the blue setting.
Wait I need details on this. Start a thread in the fish breeding forum w your breeding pair because I’m trying to figure out how to get a sexed pair and spawning and stuff please!

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait I need details on this. Start a thread in the fish breeding forum w your breeding pair because I’m trying to figure out how to get a sexed pair and spawning and stuff please!

Ill start a thread on it eventually. I had a thread a long time ago on my spawning pair of V. sexguttata. Different fish entirely but still interesting. I also have a few videos of my C. nahackyi pair spawning.
As far as getting the pair I ordered them through a well known wholesaler when I was still working at my LFS and they paired up right away.

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to the shop today and picked up some sand, rock, a pair of wild true percs, and a tiny A. randalli goby. They’re all settling in now. Im planning on buying another randalli and a randalls pistol shrimp in the next coming weeks.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 67 32.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back