Looking for info only out of curiosity

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Undulated Trigger

Ran across this guy and was doing research on them. Beautiful fish! Love the look of him. OBVIOUSLY IM NOT GOING TO PUT him in any of my tanks because of their murderous tendencies, Im not that much of a gambler as I am with clown triggers as I love them lol. This guy on the other hand is apparently psycho!! Read a lot of posts about them here, all on if they can have tank mates.

Well long story short I love challenging fish and triggers are one of my favorites. So I was looking at WAYYYY down the road doing a species tank with this trigger as the only fish. What is the minimum tank size I can go with just one of these guys? And do they mess with corals? I know they eat CUC, so hermits and snails for that so if they get eaten not a huge deal. I think that would be a very cool tank with their colors too

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would expect an 8-10" max fish. Somewhere in the standard 6' 125 range should be okay.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh gotcha. So when he is small how many gallons minimum? I would either re home or upgrade his tank in that time
Probably somewhere in the 120-gallon range. But if you're going to go 120 - you might as well go 200...

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tiny one in my 230. It grows incredibly slow compared to my other trigs. It looks cool but is very solitary hides in the rocks a lot. I don't think 1 mean trigger can destroy an entire CUC in a large enough, but I am shocked when I find an emerald, hermit, or anything that lasts long in my tank.

If you want one, get one and if it messes with something that you like take it back to the LFS. $50 lost.

I'd spend $250 and get a Blue Line, they are much cooler. :cool:

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Undulated Trigger

Ran across this guy and was doing research on them. Beautiful fish! Love the look of him. OBVIOUSLY IM NOT GOING TO PUT him in any of my tanks because of their murderous tendencies, Im not that much of a gambler as I am with clown triggers as I love them lol. This guy on the other hand is apparently psycho!! Read a lot of posts about them here, all on if they can have tank mates.

Well long story short I love challenging fish and triggers are one of my favorites. So I was looking at WAYYYY down the road doing a species tank with this trigger as the only fish. What is the minimum tank size I can go with just one of these guys? And do they mess with corals? I know they eat CUC, so hermits and snails for that so if they get eaten not a huge deal. I think that would be a very cool tank with their colors too
I was always led to believe Clown triggers were the nastiest of them all

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tiny one in my 230. It grows incredibly slow compared to my other trigs. It looks cool but is very solitary hides in the rocks a lot. I don't think 1 mean trigger can destroy an entire CUC in a large enough, but I am shocked when I find an emerald, hermit, or anything that lasts long in my tank.

If you want one, get one and if it messes with something that you like take it back to the LFS. $50 lost.

I'd spend $250 and get a Blue Line, they are much cooler. :cool:
Is he mean at all? To the other fish?

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he mean at all? To the other fish?

I’ve honestly never seen it go after another fish but every trigger is different. It’s also the smallest fish in my tank.

My last Clown was super docile and would get bullied by the small Humu, I had to give that Clown back bc it got swim bladder (loved that fish) My new Clown seems much meaner. Had a large Niger that was super docile that got killed by a Blueline Grouper (hated that fish). My new Niger is much meaner.

I’ve never seen a large Undulated trigger in a community tank, that’s probably telling. I’ve seen Bluelines, Clowns, and Queens. Never Titans either.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve honestly never seen it go after another fish but every trigger is different. It’s also the smallest fish in my tank.

My last Clown was super docile and would get bullied by the small Humu, I had to give that Clown back bc it got swim bladder (loved that fish) My new Clown seems much meaner. Had a large Niger that was super docile that got killed by a Blueline Grouper (hated that fish). My new Niger is much meaner.

I’ve never seen a large Undulated trigger in a community tank, that’s probably telling. I’ve seen Bluelines, Clowns, and Queens. Never Titans either.
Fair enough!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 187 71.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back