Looking for input on 160G Tank/Stand

Fishy Jacket

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just back in the hobby after 10+ years out (last tank Oceanic ReefReady when company was private).

Looking for input on custom tank and stand with typical against wall location. Still considering tweaks on tank size, but right now thinking 60LX24WX26H with saphire glass on front and two side panels with back panel dark. Probably rimless with thick enough glass/reinforcement so there is zero bowing. Looking for top tier, but maybe not at the level/cost of Reef Savvy. I was thinking Planet Aquarium but reading some mixed reviews on construction. Thoughts? Miracle Aquariums? Who else should I consider?

Prior tank was drilled bottom corner overflow and return. Thinking external (3X1.5") middle of tank ghost overflow now with one return on each side of overflow (2X1.0"). Although, I did like the ability of seeing corner overflow easily for any potential issues. With new overflow in back, share your experience seeing/cleaning?

Assume if I add hood rimless is pointless? Impact to overflow? Any other recommended adds/changes to tank construction?

Looking for stand height of 38" (both viewing preference and room for equipment). Starting point is coated steel with removable wood panels on all sides. Back wood panel could be partial for air flow, but need some area to mount equipment OR full fixed back panel and just add fan? Then of course I bounce back to just getting an all wood stand. lol. Other than cost impact, other tradeoffs/thoughts all wood vs. coated steel? How about aluminum?

Thanks in advance!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump

Overflows: everybody has a favorite. My DIY 90g tank (36x30x20) is in the middle. It is a bit harder to get to, but then with my hole design overflow and a lid on top of the overflow, it very rarely needs to even get looked at. This is an early photo. The light brackets are now attached to the wall and the overflow has a pvc cover/lid.
20191221_100206.jpg

Hood: Why pay more for a rimless tank if you are going to add a hood?

Stand: Wood, powder coated steel or aluminum should all work. I just bought 2 kitchen cabinets, added some reinforcements and made a counter top.

20191218_164407.jpg

The 90g at the left and a 16g holding/frag tank at the right.
20200117_163550.jpg

Back