OP
OP
blitzkragz

blitzkragz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JoshH you were absolutely right -- after lights out I took a flashlight and a FL!PPER DeepSee and there were in fact some pods crawling around the rocks!

So based on the input above, I have re-worked my sump plans. Below is the layout so far in Sketctup. The far right chamber is the phyto-fuge for copepods. I keep thinking about how to keep free swimming baby pods and phyto in there long enough for them to consume it and grow up. So in addition to it being low-flow-thru, I was thinking I could use some of the leftover 20 micron nylon screen I have to make a "screen wall" insert.

Now for the crazy part, helping pods make it to the display. I have read many times that adult pods love loofah's (the shower sponge things girls use). So my plan is to make a 2-axis motor that each night will lift a loofah out of the fuge and put it into the return chamber. Maybe call it the loofthansa :) And I can schedule my UV to turn off during that time to give them a better chance of making it to the display intact.

Anything I should consider before sending this off to the custom sump builders?
Capture.JPG

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JoshH you were absolutely right -- after lights out I took a flashlight and a FL!PPER DeepSee and there were in fact some pods crawling around the rocks!

So based on the input above, I have re-worked my sump plans. Below is the layout so far in Sketctup. The far right chamber is the phyto-fuge for copepods. I keep thinking about how to keep free swimming baby pods and phyto in there long enough for them to consume it and grow up. So in addition to it being low-flow-thru, I was thinking I could use some of the leftover 20 micron nylon screen I have to make a "screen wall" insert.

Now for the crazy part, helping pods make it to the display. I have read many times that adult pods love loofah's (the shower sponge things girls use). So my plan is to make a 2-axis motor that each night will lift a loofah out of the fuge and put it into the return chamber. Maybe call it the loofthansa :) And I can schedule my UV to turn off during that time to give them a better chance of making it to the display intact.

Anything I should consider before sending this off to the custom sump builders?
Capture.JPG

Loofthansa... I love it!

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 29 32.6%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 15 16.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back