Looking for insight on gyre

Fred Phipps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having issues with flow in my 49 breeder soft coral tank.

I have one tunze 6095 controlled by my apex and I have my return pump with two loc lines on it. I'm still seeing dead spots and I'm struggling to find a balance between what my corals need and what won't create a sand storm.

I thought about putting my other 6095 in but it really tanks up a lot of space and is an eye sore. So I'm looking into a maxspect gyre xf230.

Will this be too much flow for my 40 breeder? Will I need to worry about a sand storm?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Gyres do produce a lot of flow - my two x-50s have created scours in the sandbed at both ends and across the center front - but they also don't have to run at 100%. Mine ramp up from zero to 100% in reverse, but only to 60% in forward mode. If my little corals grow up to be big, bushy, plated colonies, I'll have enough punch in reserve to take care of the polyps in the middle of the mess.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Fred Phipps

Fred Phipps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other option would be two mp10's but if I can save $280 and just buy one gyre that's what I'll do.

Another concern is it blowing my sinularia colonies over in the sense that they look folded over all the time.

I guess I could just keep the flow rates down and put some of my higher demanding toadstools by the loc lines

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try the jebao knock offs first for a lot cheaper. I only had mine a couple months but they are still working like day 1. Like them a lot.

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine vertical (due to my overflows) but it shoots across the front nicely but it's not near the sandbed

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions on your tank?

Can you post a pic that shows pump and return placement?

It's pretty hard to flow any tank with a single pump. Maybe impossible since tides flow in two directions and that's what drives most of the flow in the wild. (Return flow barely counts.)

OP
OP
Fred Phipps

Fred Phipps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2726.JPG
IMG_2787.JPG
What are the dimensions on your tank?

Can you post a pic that shows pump and return placement?

It's pretty hard to flow any tank with a single pump. Maybe impossible since tides flow in two directions and that's what drives most of the flow in the wild. (Return flow barely counts.)

Tank is 36x18x17.

Here is a full tank shot. You can see the tunze on the left of the picture and the return on the right

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would say to try moving the one pump behind the main rock structure. Aim it up and over the rocks so it's roughly pointing at the spot on the wall where it's presently attached....or a little higher.

A) hides the pump
B) eliminates what ought to be the main dead zone
C) creates a flow path that's aimed slightly more away from the sand bed
D) will create more of a vertical gyre

Also consider switching to a lower-voltage jumper on the power supply to reduce maximum power on the pump.

I would still consider adding the second 6095, depending how well behind the rocks works out.

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 xf230’s in my e170 but run no higher then 30% except for 10 minutes late at night where they turn up to 80% to clean sand bed. During that 10 minutes the openings of the caves my watchman goby and pistol shrimp make cave in, they just reopen them in the morning.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having issues with flow in my 49 breeder soft coral tank.

I have one tunze 6095 controlled by my apex and I have my return pump with two loc lines on it. I'm still seeing dead spots and I'm struggling to find a balance between what my corals need and what won't create a sand storm.

I thought about putting my other 6095 in but it really tanks up a lot of space and is an eye sore. So I'm looking into a maxspect gyre xf230.

Will this be too much flow for my 40 breeder? Will I need to worry about a sand storm?

If anything, I would go with the Icecap 3K Gyre instead. That's plenty of flow and I can't run it past 60% in my 93 cube or the sand is everywhere or it goes over the edge of the tank.

OP
OP
Fred Phipps

Fred Phipps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say to try moving the one pump behind the main rock structure. Aim it up and over the rocks so it's roughly pointing at the spot on the wall where it's presently attached....or a little higher.

A) hides the pump
B) eliminates what ought to be the main dead zone
C) creates a flow path that's aimed slightly more away from the sand bed
D) will create more of a vertical gyre

Also consider switching to a lower-voltage jumper on the power supply to reduce maximum power on the pump.

I would still consider adding the second 6095, depending how well behind the rocks works out.

I will give this a try! I thought about it before but I have three small monti caps in that corner and didn't want the power heads to interfere with them but I suppose they will take long enough to grow thatvill have enough cash saved up for a gyre

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure you'll need any gyres if you already have two of these 6095's.....unless switching just for the sake of switching to try em. ;)

Plus, while the profile is different, the Gyre's take up a lot more space than the Nanostreams and they are higher maintenance. Their size will limit your placement options compared to the Tunze. If you have a spot where you think the Gyre will do especially well, just put the Tunze there.) If you think the 6095's flow is too wide and you'd like more directable flow sorta like the gyre, then consider switching to the Turbelle® nanostream® 6055 rather than a completely different pump. Wide flow is everyone's knee-jerk choice, but I actually prefer the older "slightly more narrow" wide flow of the 6055.

Turbelle® nanostream® 6055

For aquariums from 40 to 500 liters (10.6 to 132 USgal.). Flow rate: 1,000 to about 5,500 l/h (25... mehr

184.99 USD

I use a TON of the AC version of that....the 6045. It's gotta be one of the best of all time...and the 6055 is a slightly more powerful, controllable version. The price is nice too!!!

FYI, unless that tank is bigger than it looks ;), it's a little small for caps to be grown out very much. (Tangs too!) Pumps or no pumps you'll be fragging the daylights out of those caps to keep them the least bit contained. LOOK AT ALL THOSE FRAGS that'll be competing for light-space – oh my!!! You're going to need a little good luck to make all that work. :D

Good luck!!!!! :)

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a tank that size you will see sand storm with the gyre 230. It is very strong even at lowest setting. I would not recommend it.

OP
OP
Fred Phipps

Fred Phipps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure you'll need any gyres if you already have two of these 6095's.....unless switching just for the sake of switching to try em. ;)

Plus, while the profile is different, the Gyre's take up a lot more space than the Nanostreams and they are higher maintenance. Their size will limit your placement options compared to the Tunze. If you have a spot where you think the Gyre will do especially well, just put the Tunze there.) If you think the 6095's flow is too wide and you'd like more directable flow sorta like the gyre, then consider switching to the Turbelle® nanostream® 6055 rather than a completely different pump. Wide flow is everyone's knee-jerk choice, but I actually prefer the older "slightly more narrow" wide flow of the 6055.

Turbelle® nanostream® 6055

For aquariums from 40 to 500 liters (10.6 to 132 USgal.). Flow rate: 1,000 to about 5,500 l/h (25... mehr

184.99 USD

I use a TON of the AC version of that....the 6045. It's gotta be one of the best of all time...and the 6055 is a slightly more powerful, controllable version. The price is nice too!!!

FYI, unless that tank is bigger than it looks ;), it's a little small for caps to be grown out very much. (Tangs too!) Pumps or no pumps you'll be fragging the daylights out of those caps to keep them the least bit contained. LOOK AT ALL THOSE FRAGS that'll be competing for light-space – oh my!!! You're going to need a little good luck to make all that work. :D

Good luck!!!!! :)

Thank you for this information! I will play with my tunze about more to see if I can find the sweet spot.

As for the frags in the sand bed, they are for sale lol

OP
OP
Fred Phipps

Fred Phipps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys saved me a lot of stress and money.

I moved my tunze under my return loc lines. It hits every spot I needed it to and I've fine tuned the flow needed with my apex.

I was worried that it would eventually be blocked by my montipora that I have placed in that corner but for now it'll work great. I'll just have to frag those montis when they get too big!

Thanks for all the feedback and advice guys. I love R2R!

OP
OP
Fred Phipps

Fred Phipps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2873.JPG
IMG_2874.JPG

Tang is going to be looking for a new home in the very near future. My fiancé picked him up at petco when I first got the tank set up without asking me. The petco employee said "he will be fine", and he is but I want to be happy, not fine! Wanted to out that out there before the tang police got to me lol

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fred Phipps Nice!!

It's hard to tell from a 2D photo, but it looks like you might even be able to drop the pump lower behind the rocks, potentially even low enough to be out of view!

Also, consider putting the magnet on the back wall so that it's behind the pump when viewed from the front of the tank. Kinda make a right angle out of the pump and magnet where now they are in a straight line with one another.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back