Looking for Kalk Reactor Reccomendations

juicemanatx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Day All!

I'm looking to add a Quality Kalk reactor to my 200g SPS Dominant Reef. Looking for reccomendations for what brand reactor is superior. It will run with a CARX so it will be mostly used for the PH boosting benifits. What do you like about your reactor? What do you not like?

TIA

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Avast Marine K2 reactor. It’s got a simple design that doesn’t rely on pressure to do dosing, and stirs the kalk constantly with a low risk of clogging. You can also save money by buying it as a kit from them and assembling it yourself, which is a pretty easy process.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll chime in. Over the past week, I switched over to using Kalk through a Octo KS-100 Kalk Stirrer. It didn't deliver as expected. I'm set up for full automation and was looking to balance the Kalk with the other major/minor elements/ions. Issues I found:

1. High-end kalk stirrer doesn't deliver saturated kalk which will throw off all dosing amounts. It ran about 25% saturated.
2. Stirrer was somewhat remote and because of this it's 1/4 tubing can air-lock. This caused it to leak out the top occasionally.

I'm pretty sure #2 can be fixed by switching to 3/8 tubing via an adapter.

#2 may be fixed by pre-mixing the kalk before adding to stirrer. Given my setup, this is not a good option.

So I ordered an IceCap km-150 which uses a magnetic stirrer. Assuming it's built well this should be able to do both the thorough mixing and the slow mixing. It still has the 1/4 tubing issues...but I think my #1 fix will work.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 61 38.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back