Looking for macro safe invert and fish ideas

Macromad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for ideas for fish and inverts:

I’m setting up a 105L macro tank and am going for a natural look (like a cold water ocean style but in a warm water tank - so nothing too colourful). Lack of colour will need to be made up for by other interest factors.

Inverts and fish on the shortlist so far are barnacle blennies (for their fun personality), mini brittle stars (I find these fascinating and would add some movement to the tank) and a few hermit crabs (I love hermit crabs).

Would these be compatible 1) with each other 2) with macro algae (I have around 11 varieties and counting).

(I am also planning to add an emerald crab to a separate macro algae tank if anyone has experience of doing this and can tell me which ones the emerald destroyed).

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is a good place to source macro algae from? I have a 10g aio that I will be setting up as a macro/invert tank.

macrouk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald crab - I never had much problems, but it probably depends on the specific crabs preferences

Your current plans are fine re fish/inverts. I’d recommend a more “open water swimming” fish to go alongside the blennies that you will see more of - small species I like would include clowns, cardinals, royal gramma, damsels.

Regarding inverts, I’d recommend a boxer crab - I just think they are so brilliant! And you do see them, not all the time, but you do see them far more than say a pistol shrimp. Get a cleaner shrimp too - it doesn’t have to be the classic one if you don’t t like them - urocaridella are nice for example. You could also get sexy shrimp and a fan worm or two.

Some random suggestions there but hope that helps…

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back