Looking for new tank w/ custom woodwork

scott11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I was a long time member over at RC and have attended frag and prop meeting off and on since about 2003. Shut down my tanks a few years ago and looking to get back in. Im still debating exactly what I want to do for the new tank, but it will be front and center when you enter our home, so the wife requires something nicer looking than off the shelf stands.

I am looking at maybe a standard 120 or a short 90, but I think a 36x30 or 36x36 would fit my space best and I have alway preferred cubes. Any suggestions for tank and stand/canopy. I don't want an open top, so Redsea, Waterbox, etc are likely out. Looking at SCA, but don't finding many other options. Doesn't need to be fancy, and we may just want it painted white, but it should look more like furniture than an MDF cabinet.

Any advice?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had new cabinets put in the kitchen and both bathrooms. So when I deiced to downsize tanks (been in the hobby almost 20 years) I bought 2 more cabinets from the same supplier. I did a bit of structural support and it now has 800 pounds of water on it with no issues. The photo below is just the jumping off point. There will be some trim work (PVC), toe kicks (also PVC) and even a new door for the space between the cabinets.

You can see more of the build in this thread:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ron-reefmans-new-90g-build.636706/#post-6344998

20191218_164407.jpg

The 90g DT at the left. A 16g holding tank in the center. A5g aiptasia killing tank on the right. When I'm done, the 16g and 5g tanks will be removed. At some point the 16g tank may return and sit on the right end to keep locally collected critters that I don't trust in the DT. BTW, the white on the wall behind the system is FRP (Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic) sheeting sold at HD or Lowes and it's cheap protection for the walls!

20200110_155947.jpg

Last edited:

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 33 49.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back