Looking for new Wrasse to add

Readd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I recently upgraded my tank to a 180 galleon 5 foot long tank about a month ago. Currently I only have a purple tang and flame angel in my tank along with a few random corals. Yes I know these might not be the best fish to have established already but they have both been with me awhile in my previous tank.

I am looking to get a good stock list of fish I can add as I love the colors and movement that fish bring to the tank. I’ve been doing a ton of research on wrasses lately and have been considering getting a melanarus wrasse, yellow coris wrasse, pintail fairy wrasse. Copperband butterfly is another fish but I know the challenges that these come with. Flasher wrasses are not something I’m interested in at this time. I would love some other recommendations that would be welcomed additions to the tank if possible include the names and maybe pictures, also not sure if there should be an order in which I should add these fish?

Thanks for Reading

spectreknight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pink margin fairy full size male, Tri-color, blue throat, and Christmas wrasse. All of these have great color and are constantly swimming brining movement to the tank. The Yellow I stayed away from as there can be mis-labeled ones at the store and instead of a yellow coris you get a silver belly.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
@SaltyT @Crabby48 @Slocke
can't forget the boys - @i cant think @Petcrazyson

They will fill your tank with all the goodies and tell you what goes best with what, as well as what you should stay away from.
Best of luck! Congrats on the upgrade!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I recently upgraded my tank to a 180 galleon 5 foot long tank about a month ago. Currently I only have a purple tang and flame angel in my tank along with a few random corals. Yes I know these might not be the best fish to have established already but they have both been with me awhile in my previous tank.

I am looking to get a good stock list of fish I can add as I love the colors and movement that fish bring to the tank. I’ve been doing a ton of research on wrasses lately and have been considering getting a melanarus wrasse, yellow coris wrasse, pintail fairy wrasse. Copperband butterfly is another fish but I know the challenges that these come with. Flasher wrasses are not something I’m interested in at this time. I would love some other recommendations that would be welcomed additions to the tank if possible include the names and maybe pictures, also not sure if there should be an order in which I should add these fish?

Thanks for Reading
So the genera I'd suggest are:
  • The halichoeres like the melanrus, and yellow you mentioned. My personal favorites are the radiant, H iridis and the dusky margined, H marginatus. Order does not matter.
  • The fairies like the pintail though I suggest bigger species like the hooded flame, rhomboid, katherines or girdled (balteus), the lineatus or pink margin. Order does not matter.
  • Coris wrasse. This should be a late addition and my recommendation is the red, Coris gaimard.
  • Sea grass/emerald wrasse will cause some chaos but are the funnest fish, Novaculilichthys macrolepidotus. Also a late addition.
  • Leopard wrasse can be sensitive but with some careful husbandry usually do well long term. All species are great but the white meleagris, the orange choati, the blue star bipartitus, the black negroensis are all awesome. This should be an early addition.
  • Finally a tamarin. These can be very sensitive but can grow big to fit nicely in a 180. The yellowtail meleagrides, the pearl neoguinaicus, or if you're rich the lennardi or femininus are all awesome. Should be added early.
H iridis:
IMG_3165.jpeg

H marginatus
IMG_3534.jpeg

C gaimard (juvenile)
IMG_2230.jpeg

M bipartitus (actually a marisrubri but identical):
IMG_2887.jpeg

A meleagrides
IMG_3102.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Readd13

Readd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh yes the radiant wrasse is one I plan to add if I can find a good specimen and forgot to include on my list!

OP
OP
Readd13

Readd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coris wrasse. This should be a late addition and my recommendation is the red, Coris gaimard.
Red Coris Wrasse doesn’t get too big and too aggressive you don’t think? I love the way it looks but figured it was not an option based on what I have read.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Coris Wrasse doesn’t get too big and too aggressive you don’t think? I love the way it looks but figured it was not an option based on what I have read.
Red coris get very pushy actually not that it will but it can, and can potentially eat ypur other wrasse like the Paracheilinus and the Cirrhilabrus. They also have the potential of getting a foot long in a large tank. You could add the Red coris but you run the risk of fish loss and aggressiveness. It is a very nice looking wrasse though. Something that may help the dispersion of attention towards other fish is feeding her/him lots of meaty foods like clams every day.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a large wrasse it is actually pretty peaceful. It is the coward of my tank though that does have some truly aggressive fish.
I’d still suggest getting a juvenile and it being a later addition though.

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 128 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back