What other wrasse to add?

Hectorg214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a maroon clown fish, a yellow watchman goby and a yellow coris wrasse and wanted to know what other wrasse would be compatible with the fish I have. I was thinking about a melanurus wrasse.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a maroon clown fish, a yellow watchman goby and a yellow coris wrasse and wanted to know what other wrasse would be compatible with the fish I have. I was thinking about a melanurus wrasse.
I would not get a melanarus as they are a more aggressive Halichoeres. Consider a radiant, dusky, earmuff, or even “silver belly”.

However the best wrasse to add would be ones from other genera such as flashers, fairies, and leopard wrasse. How big is the tank?

@i cant think @Tcook @JoJosReef are fellow wrasse nerds who can help.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I definitely suggest a leopard, and some flashers and/or fairies. Any leopard will work but the common white, the blue star, and the ornate are the best for beginners.
For a flasher only the smaller ones will work for you such as the blue and filamented.
Here is a fairy wrasse chart with my favorites highlighted. They should all work in a tank of your size.
IMG_5015.jpeg

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm partial to C. brunneus at the moment. Yes, colors are a bit muted, but mine keeps growing on me. Can't wait to see how he looks after fully transitioning!

100% leopard for your tank, though, if you can get a healthy one. They are just delightful.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Slocke that the mel can be aggressive. The chrysus is well behaved ime. I would consider a babi or earmuff. Maybe one of the mac’s like a vivien. If you have a little to spend then a magma would add some deep red. I have been eyeing the diamond tail that Minh recently posted and that I believe @i cant think has. I would also consider adding a few lyretail anthias and maybe a genicanthus angel.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not get a melanarus as they are a more aggressive Halichoeres. Consider a radiant, dusky, earmuff, or even “silver belly”.

However the best wrasse to add would be ones from other genera such as flashers, fairies, and leopard wrasse. How big is the tank?

@i cant think @Tcook @JoJosReef are fellow wrasse nerds who can help.
I vote fairy wrasse!

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Playing devil's advocate here, my melanurus is well behaved. I regularly stir up my sandbed with a turkey baster and it follows me around eating the critters that get stirred up.

Currently it lives with a 3-4" lightning maroon clown, a 4" yellow tang, and a small oscilaris clown. Though over the last 2-3 years it's lived peacefully with all sorts of fish, shrimp, and crabs.

I miss my yellow corris. I had 3, and the lightning maroon chased all 3 out of the tank.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Slocke that the mel can be aggressive. The chrysus is well behaved ime. I would consider a babi or earmuff. Maybe one of the mac’s like a vivien. If you have a little to spend then a magma would add some deep red. I have been eyeing the diamond tail that Minh recently posted and that I believe @i cant think has. I would also consider adding a few lyretail anthias and maybe a genicanthus angel.
Diamond tails are definitely gorgeous :)
Here’s my two ‘Pin Tailed’ Wrasses.
IMG_8307.jpeg

The main caution I’d have is that maroon, she’s going to be a ***** with any new fish added.
You’ll want more boisterous Fairies and Flashers. I agree that a Mel may be too aggressive with your silver belly long term. Species from Cirrhilabrus like Finifenmaa, Naokoae, and Aquamarinus should all be alright. Without knowing the dimensions they’re the main 3 I’d recommend in a 70+G tank (if it’s 4’ then I can offer slightly larger species that will likely work).
Flashers, again much like the larger species of fairies, without knowing about your tank’s dimensions I wouldn’t recommend them yet. And if I did recommend them, you’d be looking at slightly more boisterous and somewhat larger species.

Then most sand sleeping species should be alright as they aren’t taking up a huge amount of territory in the rocks at night. But again, caution with the maroon and more peaceful species Like leopards should be taken.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 87 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.2%
Back